+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kelly Transducers KT2 renovation

I'm Ian.

Default Kelly Transducers KT2 renovation

I recently bought a World Designs KEL84 off Petrat and very good it is too but it didn't have enough puff to work well with my Neat Motive speakers so I looked around for something more efficient and came across these on Ebay.

I've owned a pair before so knew I liked the sound although they are pig ugly in their dull oak vinyl wrap and even uglier after a previous owner decided to partially varnish them! Still they were cheap and the drivers were in excellent condition. I've never done any veneering before but decided to have a go using sticky back veneer in maple.

I also decided to try and improve the crossovers and internal wiring so now some Supra cable goes to the drivers without using those nasty little clips as per original and the crossovers have been moved to external boxes with some new elements. Paul (Reffc) gave me a lot of help with these although he did tell me off for buying the relatively expensive Jantzen caps

The original crossover sat behind the top mid-bass unit

and the new one in its box

They're still running in but sounding good already on the end of the KEL84 so big thanks to Paul for his assistance. (I've posted this build elsewhere but thought AoS members might be interested.)

Bigman80 Guest

Fantastic job. The veneer looks so much better. Crossovers are tidy too. Great work.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Very smart job!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ian.

Thank you gents. Wife says they look "professional" which is good enough for me. She also says they look big but then after the Neats they are! The crossover "tidiness" is down to Paul.

I'm Ian.

Update.... I just knew there was a great speaker in here somewhere but I wasn't quite getting it. Treble in particular was irritating me - just too much for my taste and shrill with it. So this morning I fitted a couple of resistors to give a 6dB attenuation l-pad. What a difference, treble is controlled but no less airy and bass seems stronger though why I don't know. I keep tweaking the volume up instead of down

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nice job Ian, enjoy.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    Update.... I just knew there was a great speaker in here somewhere but I wasn't quite getting it. Treble in particular was irritating me - just too much for my taste and shrill with it. So this morning I fitted a couple of resistors to give a 6dB attenuation l-pad. What a difference, treble is controlled but no less airy and bass seems stronger though why I don't know. I keep tweaking the volume up instead of down
    I'm sure I just read that somewhere else.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ian.

Well, I couldn't leave AoS out now could I

I'm Grant.

Hard to imagine them the same speaker
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

I've heard these now and extremely good they are.
    Very open and crisp at the top end, I imagine they must have been really piercing before the L pad went in.

The maple finish looks fantastic

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast