+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Now at Richer Sounds

I'm Richie.

Id sell my modded 1210'for 1300!

I'm keiron.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    A well modded one ie platter, MN bearing, baseplate, triple stage regs etc - definitely no.
    That's quite a confident statement without actually having listened to them side by side!

I am seriously intrigued by the SL1200G, which is the model up in the range. I have seen them going for £1999.

Apart from the physical look, they have very little in common with the original 1200 models of yore.

There's a very interesting and informative review by Michael Fremer on Analog Planet

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...UxsbSlMxChV.97

To quote:

"Frankly, the blowback on the analogPlanet YouTube channel was instructive. It demonstrated just how little knowledge some posters had about vinyl playback and especially about the new SL-1200G, which though it looks like the old 1200 is anything but!"

I'm Ian.

Thanks for the link, a very informative review.
    It confirms my own belief that Technics will have surpassed any mods we can do the PSU / motor control electronics with their redesign of the motor its new higher resolution control electronics and a good SMPS PSU.
    The measurements shown are proof of the platter rotational improvement which can only be achieved with a new motor design.
    I have heavily modded my 2 techies but I would be hesitant to make any claims about their performance relative to the new 1200G and GR. I havent seen one let alone had a listening session.
    If I had a budget of £1999 for a TT the 1200G would certainly be on my list.
    The 1200GR looks to me to be more of a replacement for our generation of Techies and I would assume it will use exactly the same electronics and motor as the 1200G.
    One difference noted is the tonearm which I commented on in an earlier post. With the 1200GR there may be room for improvement but if we let price of both models settle to market forces it may not be worth it and one accepts the 1200G for Hi fi use.

The old techie will plod on for some time yet, it still tops the list of entry level decks that can easily be tweaked to shoot well above more expensive units.
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
    I have seen them going for £1999.
    Have you a link to where to buy for that price? Thanks.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
    That's quite a confident statement without actually having listened to them side by side!

I am seriously intrigued by the SL1200G, which is the model up in the range. I have seen them going for £1999.

Apart from the physical look, they have very little in common with the original 1200 models of yore.

There's a very interesting and informative review by Michael Fremer on Analog Planet

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...UxsbSlMxChV.97

To quote:

"Frankly, the blowback on the analogPlanet YouTube channel was instructive. It demonstrated just how little knowledge some posters had about vinyl playback and especially about the new SL-1200G, which though it looks like the old 1200 is anything but!"
    Hi Keiron,

My statement is in the in the context of the £1299 GR which i'm sure will be pretty much on a similar 'level' to the MK5g.

I've had my MK5g from new. In stock form its sound is ok.
    It sounded very 'nice' with a 2M Black on the stock MK5g arm which has better wire than the other stock versions before it.

I can attest that with with the mods i've mentioned - upgrade arm, external ps, MN bearing, base plate, ebony armboard and ETP platter it is a different animal all together with a genuine 'rightness' to its sound (and so it should considering the upgrades),
    Less closed, coloured etc and more revealing of the recording in a more grown up hi fidelity sense, that the stock MK5g does not have.

If the GR did happen to sound 'better' than a well modded Techie then it is an out and out bargain.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Couple of interesting differences about the new GR model, the base is not like the old rubber but a vacuum resin material, also the platter is 800 gms heavier and has some structural bracing with a thinner softer mat.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Mick.

Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Kevin.

Using the arm lift on that will be a real pain in the butt.
    It's one of the reasons I got rid of my AO modified RB251. It is just too much faff to use on an SL1200.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    It's one of the reasons I got rid of my AO modified RB251. It is just too much faff to use on an SL1200.
    Exactly. I've mentioned several times in the past that Rega arms and Rega derived arms are an ergonomic disaster on Techies.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Michiel.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I've read this a lot on this forum and I've always wondered why. I've been using a Rega-derived arm (Origin Live) for years on a Techie with no issues with the arm lift whatsoever. I use the Origin Live arm board (the old version for the threaded base), maybe that's where the difference lies?
    Turntable Technics SL-1210mk2, Origin Live modified OL1 tonearm, Van Den Hul rewire, LDA/MCRU Step 2 PSU, Ianmac bearing, Isonoes, Achromat, Clearaudio Twister
    Cartridge Audio Technica AT33PTG II
    Tape Technics RS-AZ6
    SACD Sony SCD-XB790QS
    Ampification Accuphase E-205
    Speakers Dali Ikon 6 Special Edition
    Sub REL Strata II
    Cables Van Den Hul: MCS-150M and D-502 Hybrid (Tonearm), Integration Hybrid (SACD, Tape), CS-122 Hybrid (Speakers), The Second (currently unused). Canare: 4S8 (Sub)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345