+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decca on an LP 12

I'm Retief.

Default Decca on an LP 12

I have access to an unfettled LP 12 without arm (or it has a Syrinx arm which I suspect is holding it back) and I would like to revive it as a project. At the same time I've always been intrigued by a Decca cartridge and am considering one for a second table. At this early stage I have 2 questions:

1. How would the Decca work on an LP12, is it a good match, and

2. Any recommendations for a unipivot arm that would fit in the LP12 plinth?

many thanks

Chivas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

I'm openingabottleofwine.

In the late '70s the combination of the Linn LP12, Hadcock unipivot arm and Decca cartridge was favoured by some reviewers. I don't see any reason why this combination should be unacceptable today.
    Barry

I'm Timothy.

Roksan Nima works well on an LP12, but I doubt with a Decca cartridge, FWIW.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Adam.

+1 on the Nima £500 ish Or Naim Aro if you can find one £1500-£2000..
    Had both and the Nima is great at the the price ..
    Sorry can't comment on the Decca
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Retief.

Thanks for the comment and suggestions gents, I will follow up further, but initial research suggests that the Aro and LP12 is a popular combination and seemingly no reason why it cannot work with a Decca cart. How does the Aro compare with a Hadcock?

Retief
    Analogue: Origin Live Resolution mk2,OL Encounter mk3c,MM III and isolator.Digital:CA 840C.Amplification:Croft RIAA R, Icon Audio LA4mkii,Icon Audio MB845 signature version.Speakers: Kef Reference 203/2 Cables: Mark Grant G2000HD. Speaker cable Van Damme Hi-Fi UP-LCOFC.Headphone: Grado PS1000,HD650,HD600,Icon Audio HP8 RCM DIY Moth

I'm Retief.

The Nottingham analogue arms might also be a good option?

Retief

I'm mark.

I bought LP12/Aro primarily for the Aro.

IMO uni's on a suspended deck is an accident waiting to happen and the Aro was quickly moved onto Garrard 301. A much more stable platform without an arm lifting device.

I've had a few unipivots including Nima and Hadcock. I didn't have the decca when I had the Nima, but it works very well on Tabriz as well as the obvious Hadcock.

FWIW I think Aro/Decca combo is very good, although I have GB Tools pod to allow for adjustment.

I'm Ralph.

And what's wrong with a Syrinx arm? I'm guessing it's a PU2 as that was Syrinx arm usually fitted to the LP12 back in the day. Yes it looked like it was made in someone's shed and it could be a bit fiddly at times but get it right and it's a hell of an arm. It might even surprise you with a Decca hanging off it!
    Ralph.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    In the late '70s the combination of the Linn LP12, Hadcock unipivot arm and Decca cartridge was favoured by some reviewers. I don't see any reason why this combination should be unacceptable today.
    Seconded. Hadcock/Decca is a tried and tested combo. Don't try a overcomplicate things.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Chivas View Post
    The Nottingham analogue arms might also be a good option?

Nottingham Analogue arms were designed using Decca cartridges and make an excellent combination. Also, they are easy to set up, stay set up and bits don't fall off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast