+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jethro Tull "Aqualung"

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    OK, that's the one to chase after, then. Thanks!

P.S. Did Steven Wilson also do a remix/remaster of Genesis?
    The Genesis albums were remixed and remastered in 2007 by their then recording engineer and producer Nick Davis.
    Somehow the multitrack recordings of all bar one of their songs (Say It's Alright Joe) had been stored and were in good enough condition to transfer onto digital format, and I'd expect the resultant flat transfers to be safely archived.
    In an interview about the project, Nick Davis made the comment that anyone wanting to listen to the original mixes should keep hold of their 1994 remastered CD copies.

Steven Wilson sadly hasn't been asked to do anything for Genesis to date, but never say never.
    It could happen, given the proviso that the unmolested multitrack masters have been securely archived.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The Steven Wilson remix is very, very good.
    He spent a lot of time referencing the original record release, and almost managed to make that illusive silk purse from a sow's ear.
    There was a vinyl release of the Steven Wilson remix - that might be the one to have https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/tn0/Aqual...aqualung+vinyl
    I did compare the original CD issue of Aqualung to the Steven Wilson remaster from Tidal (MQA) but to be quite honest i fail to see Steven Wilson as any kind of saviour... To my ears the Steven Wilson remaster has got som tougher compression and a bit turned up bass. All in all, not much of a remaster to my lugs..
    Compared to these, my vinyl is still better

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    I did compare the original CD issue of Aqualung to the Steven Wilson remaster from Tidal (MQA) but to be quite honest i fail to see Steven Wilson as any kind of saviour... To my ears the Steven Wilson remaster has got som tougher compression and a bit turned up bass. All in all, not much of a remaster to my lugs..
    Compared to these, my vinyl is still better
    The MQA might not be helping.
    Chris

I'm Alex.

The Genesis albums were remixed and remastered in 2007 by their then recording engineer and producer Nick Davis.
    Somehow the multitrack recordings of all bar one of their songs (Say It's Alright Joe) had been stored and were in good enough condition to transfer onto digital format, and I'd expect the resultant flat transfers to be safely archived.
    In an interview about the project, Nick Davis made the comment that anyone wanting to listen to the original mixes should keep hold of their 1994 remastered CD copies.

Steven Wilson sadly hasn't been asked to do anything for Genesis to date, but never say never.
    It could happen, given the proviso that the unmolested multitrack masters have been securely archived.
    Haha, an unmolested multitrack -- good one
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

Haha, an unmolested multitrack -- good one
    You never know - there might be a flat transfer of them all kicking around somewhere.

To be honest I've just accepted that the 2007 remixes are all we're gonna get, and I've been picking up new vinyl pressings with those mixes, and they sound rather good.
    I picked up Trespass a few weeks ago, had Wind & Wuthering land today, and I'm happy with what I'm hearing from them so far. I have Nursery Cryme and Trespass scheduled to land tomorrow
    The pressings that I'm acquiring have all been half speed cuts by Miles Showell.
    Chris

I'm Alex.

You never know - there might be a flat transfer of them all kicking around somewhere.

To be honest I've just accepted that the 2007 remixes are all we're gonna get, and I've been picking up new vinyl pressings with those mixes, and they sound rather good.
    I picked up Trespass a few weeks ago, had Wind & Wuthering land today, and I'm happy with what I'm hearing from them so far. I have Nursery Cryme and Trespass scheduled to land tomorrow
    The pressings that I'm acquiring have all been half speed cuts by Miles Showell.
    Sounds encouraging. Good to know we have alternatives...

Re unmolested multitracks -- you're right, copy of a copy of a copy is not desirable. But the original first gen tape is what it is -- it cannot be tampered with, no? Unlike the digital master track, which can be tampered with after-the-fact.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Jez.

Yes it's bass light. Not a bad recording really other than that. Some of the more acoustic tracks come across quite well IMHO.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Sounds encouraging. Good to know we have alternatives...

Re unmolested multitracks -- you're right, copy of a copy of a copy is not desirable. But the original first gen tape is what it is -- it cannot be tampered with, no? Unlike the digital master track, which can be tampered with after-the-fact.
    If effects have been laid down as each part of the multitrack has been recorded, then that's what you'd get on a flat transfer.
    If however the tracks are laid down dry (no effects) then it's possible to get close to the original stereo masters by use of outboard effects at mixdown. Sometimes you might even find the exact same piece of gear used on the production first time round.
    It all depends on the production habits of the band, the producer, and the engineer.

In the case of the Genesis remixes I think the original stereo master had basically worn out from over use, and the advent of surround sound made it seem a worthwhile project to revisit things and produce everything in both stereo and surround sound, and it made sense to go back as close to generation 1 as possible.

Don't forget, most of the production nightmares out there are production mastering nightmares - the band/artist deliver things to the record company being the way the the band/artist want it to sound.
    The production mastering is usually where everything is made louder than everything else, at the behest of the record company.
    Chris

I'm Alex.

If effects have been laid down as each part of the multitrack has been recorded, then that's what you'd get on a flat transfer.
    If however the tracks are laid down dry (no effects) then it's possible to get close to the original stereo masters by use of outboard effects at mixdown. Sometimes you might even find the exact same piece of gear used on the production first time round.
    It all depends on the production habits of the band, the producer, and the engineer.

In the case of the Genesis remixes I think the original stereo master had basically worn out from over use, and the advent of surround sound made it seem a worthwhile project to revisit things and produce everything in both stereo and surround sound, and it made sense to go back as close to generation 1 as possible.

Don't forget, most of the production nightmares out there are production mastering nightmares - the band/artist deliver things to the record company being the way the the band/artist want it to sound.
    The production mastering is usually where everything is made louder than everything else, at the behest of the record company.
    Ideally, we could go back to the original individual tracks. And if the band was using 8 or 16 channels machines, ideally there wouldn't be a lot of 'bounced' tracks, meaning the recorded signal should be in pretty crisp condition. Back in the '60s it was common to bounce a lot of tracks into a single one, in order to free up channels for more overdubs. This bouncing inevitably degrades the signal, but it is what it is.

One would expect/hope that by the '70s, no one was recording on a four track anymore. Hopefully, they were not overdubbing by bouncing tracks, but one can never be certain.

Alex.

I'm terry.

Default Tull

I have most of the original Tull LP's and most are bass light, Songs from the Wood a prime example, very toppy?.
    I have also seen them three or four times live, and again the sound always seemed to emphasise the higher registers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast