+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SW1X DAC I Standard Passive I/V version

I'm Slawa.

Default SW1X DAC I Standard Passive I/V version

The SW1X DAC I Standard version is now available with two different I/V conversion techniques: Active or Passive. While the active current to voltage (I/V) conversion via a single specially selected transistor matches the impedance better between DAC current out and the valve grid, passive conversion via a resistor provides an alternative solution with a different sound signature.

Difference in sound between Passive and Active I/V (current to voltage) conversion

There are distinct difference in sound between those conversion techniques, implemented in Active and Passive versions of SW1X DAC I. While the sound of active I/V over a specially selected transistor has a better “dynamic bite”, the passive resistor I/V method gives a more relaxed feeling to the sound. On the one hand, Active I/V of DAC I has an edge over Passive I/V in resolving details, on the other, passive I/V provides a more organic envelope to the texture of music. Both conversion techniques have merits with a particular music in mind: Active I/V version will particularly excel with energized Rock or Electronic type of music while Passive I/V will sound more harmonically with Jazzy or Classical type of music.

http://sw1xad.co.uk/production-update/
    SW1X Audio DesignTM ... Finest Audio Components ... Designed and Handcrafted in England
    www.SW1XAD.co.uk

I'm Peter.

is it as simple as flipping a switch on the DAC to go from Active to Passive ?

all the best
    Peter
    Movies ~ oppo 105 ~ marantz SR8001 ~ tannoy precision ~ BK Monolith Sub
    Vinyl ~ beogram 8002 ~ graham slee accession phono pre
    Red Book ~ Teac PD-H600 ~ red wine audio signature 30.2 ~ akg k-1000 headphones

I'm Slawa.

Dear Peter,

It is not entirely as simple as flipping a switch. However, it is a relatively simple procedure when one knows what to do.
    Going from active I/V version would imply de-soldering parts and replacing resistors. Going from passive to active is much more complicated as the power supply and the choice of transistors is crucial.

While either version will not disappoint anybody, it is simply a question of preference.

S
    Last edited by SW1X; 10-04-2017 at 15:52.
    SW1X Audio DesignTM ... Finest Audio Components ... Designed and Handcrafted in England
    www.SW1XAD.co.uk

I'm Slawa.

By the way, I noticed that you are located near Bishop Stortford, which is about half an hour by car away from us. You are welcome to audition both versions and decide for yourself which you prefer.

S
    www.SW1XAD.co.uk

I'm Adam.

As always with SW1X products, Dr Slawa and his team are always pushing the boundaries in Sound Quality possibilities and presentations,
    using the very best and carefully selected components and the simplest approach. Always probing to deliver more from their products.
    A rare thing in todays market.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by SW1X View Post
    By the way, I noticed that you are located near Bishop Stortford, which is about half an hour by car away from us. You are welcome to audition both versions and decide for yourself which you prefer.

S
    Hi

I too live in Bishops Stortford and I cant offer you a chance to listen to active vs passive I/V but I can offer a chance to listen to the SW1X 'sound', having purchased much of Slawas kit. Also a chance to have a coffee and chat if you wish.

Cheers Chris

I'm Martin.

A while ago after a brief conversation with Slawa re tube rolling, he recommended a 6N6P NOS tube made in the 60's at the FOTON factory
    I have obtained a pair (could not find singles) and one of them has sat in my DAC 1 since before Xmas
    It leaves the stock one for dead and is slightly better at detail retrieval than my Tesla, although not quite so good at ambient detail. The treble balance is slightly higher but a worthwhile improvement and at about 30 squids for the pair not too bad a price
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    A while ago after a brief conversation with Slawa re tube rolling, he recommended a 6N6P NOS tube made in the 60's at the FOTON factory
    I have obtained a pair (could not find singles) and one of them has sat in my DAC 1 since before Xmas
    It leaves the stock one for dead and is slightly better at detail retrieval than my Tesla, although not quite so good at ambient detail. The treble balance is slightly higher but a worthwhile improvement and at about 30 squids for the pair not too bad a price
    These are they

/www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-6N6P-ECC99-E182CC-Square-Getter-Foton-1960s-Gold-Grid-Tubes-NOS/191887911796?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid =p2060353.m2749.l2649
    Lumley Heliosphere Audiomods 5
    Voyd Valdi AN Arm 1 V2 and Denon MC
    Audiomeca Talisman Highly Modded
    Audiomeca Kreatura &,SW1X DAC1
    Hovland HP200 MC
    Hovland Radia
    Ming Da 805 monos
    Magnum Dynalab Etude, RWA Cassabria + LCD 3
    Wilson Benesch Actors
    Cables by Cardas, Hovland G3 and Yter

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by ovlov854 View Post
    Yep many Russian valves are great. Older the better
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

+ Reply to Thread