+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SW1X DAC I Standard Passive I/V version

I'm Slawa.

Default SW1X DAC I Standard Passive I/V version

The SW1X DAC I Standard version is now available with two different I/V conversion techniques: Active or Passive. While the active current to voltage (I/V) conversion via a single specially selected transistor matches the impedance better between DAC current out and the valve grid, passive conversion via a resistor provides an alternative solution with a different sound signature.

Difference in sound between Passive and Active I/V (current to voltage) conversion

There are distinct difference in sound between those conversion techniques, implemented in Active and Passive versions of SW1X DAC I. While the sound of active I/V over a specially selected transistor has a better “dynamic bite”, the passive resistor I/V method gives a more relaxed feeling to the sound. On the one hand, Active I/V of DAC I has an edge over Passive I/V in resolving details, on the other, passive I/V provides a more organic envelope to the texture of music. Both conversion techniques have merits with a particular music in mind: Active I/V version will particularly excel with energized Rock or Electronic type of music while Passive I/V will sound more harmonically with Jazzy or Classical type of music.

http://sw1xad.co.uk/production-update/
    SW1X Audio DesignTM ... Finest Audio Components ... Designed and Handcrafted in England
    www.SW1XAD.co.uk

I'm Peter.

is it as simple as flipping a switch on the DAC to go from Active to Passive ?

all the best
    Peter
    Vinyl: Pink Triangle PT1 + Graham Slee Accession + AVI sub and DM5 active speakers
    iPod: Onkyo ND-S1 + Beresford 7510 + AKG K-340

I'm Slawa.

Dear Peter,

It is not entirely as simple as flipping a switch. However, it is a relatively simple procedure when one knows what to do.
    Going from active I/V version would imply de-soldering parts and replacing resistors. Going from passive to active is much more complicated as the power supply and the choice of transistors is crucial.

While either version will not disappoint anybody, it is simply a question of preference.

S
    Last edited by SW1X; 10-04-2017 at 15:52.
    SW1X Audio DesignTM ... Finest Audio Components ... Designed and Handcrafted in England
    www.SW1XAD.co.uk

I'm Slawa.

By the way, I noticed that you are located near Bishop Stortford, which is about half an hour by car away from us. You are welcome to audition both versions and decide for yourself which you prefer.

S
    www.SW1XAD.co.uk

I'm Adam.

As always with SW1X products, Dr Slawa and his team are always pushing the boundaries in Sound Quality possibilities and presentations,
    using the very best and carefully selected components and the simplest approach. Always probing to deliver more from their products.
    A rare thing in todays market.
    "lack of passion is fatal"
    LP12, Kore, Lingo2, Aro, SKale / DV XX2Mk2 / WAD 300b Power Modded, Mesh Plate Valves / David Coe AD Audio 'Satchmo' Pre & Phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / AD Audio 'Little Gate' Jfet MC Cartridge Amp / Kudos Cardea 2 / Speaker Cables: Duelund DCA16GA / Rpi3 & Digi + pro / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / SW1X Audio Design DAC 1 Signature / Interconnects: Duelund DCA20GA home brew / SW1X Audio Phono SPDIF AERO 6 / David Coe AD Audio Silver USB / Synology NAS Drive / Tidal HiFi

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by SW1X View Post
    By the way, I noticed that you are located near Bishop Stortford, which is about half an hour by car away from us. You are welcome to audition both versions and decide for yourself which you prefer.

S
    Hi

I too live in Bishops Stortford and I cant offer you a chance to listen to active vs passive I/V but I can offer a chance to listen to the SW1X 'sound', having purchased much of Slawas kit. Also a chance to have a coffee and chat if you wish.

Cheers Chris

+ Reply to Thread