+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herron VTSP2 preamp ... I'm impressed ...

I'm Peter.

Default Herron VTSP2 preamp ... I'm impressed ...

First of all I would like to thank Jerry (jandl100) for advertising his Herron VTSP2 preamp for sale just as I was beginning to look for a replacement for my EAR 802, which is a preamp with an extremely quiet mm stage but to me it is a little too even-handed and unexciting. It lacked drama in my set up which you may see further down in this post.

Although Jerry had already decided NOT to sell, his sales ad made me start looking for information about Herron Audio. Just a few hours later, I had located two other Herron VTSP2 preamps for sale - a black one in Norway and a silver one in Belgium. I ended up going for the silver one in Belgium since the seller was very responsive and accomodating. I had also considered many other offerings around the £1250 mark. Some less than that, some quite a bit more than that.

Now that the Herron VTSP2 is here, all worries are now in the past. Until it arrived, I must admit that I was afraid that I had made a mistake in selling the EAR 802 when I heard back from a very enthusiastic buyer who found the MM-stage in the EAR 802 + "the Head" SUT better than a Rega Ios and a combination of a EAR 88PB and "the Head" SUT.

But in my set-up the Herron sounds as if a bit of fresh air and boucy showmanship have entered the man cave, a dark place that tends to smell and sound like ... a man cave. It just works wonders.

My audio chain is as follows:

Computer ---> bog standard USB out ---> Nuforce S192U (uSB-Spdif-converter powered by linear psu through Paul Pang usb splitter cable) --> coax out --> Line Magnetic 502CA DAC --> Herron VTSP2 ---> EAR 516 Stereo amp --> My flying/dancing ... Quad ESL 57s ... placed on top of shelves.

Turntable:
    I have a Thorens TD 147 Jubilee turntable that I try not to dampen to death fitted with the standard TP16 armbase and an updated arm from Schopper.ch. My cart is a Benz Micro Gullwing SLR MC. Currently I am without a phono stage but in a few days I will have an Arcam rPhono standing in for my final phono stage. I also have a Partridge 977 SUT that I will test with the Arcam rPhono.

Cassette deck: Bang & Olufsen Beocord 6500
    Tuner set-up: Leak Stereo 70 / Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner / JBL LX-310.

So which phono stage will I end up getting?

These are early hours with my Herron VTSP2 and it remains to be seen if my initial infatuation will last.

2 photos:

I'm Neil.

"the Head" SUTs these days are selling for crazy money, up to £1000+, but it has to be said its a very good SUT and while I no longer use SUTs I won't be selling mine.
    Regards Neil

I'm Peter.

Oh come on, you tease! You know you want to sell it.

I'm gone.

Excellent, I am pleased and relieved after our PM conversation that the Herron has worked out well for you, Peter.

I'm Phil.

yes always good to hear of good pre amps , thanks for posting
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Peter.

The Herron seems to have a more lighted top that almost makes my Quad ESL 57s sound closer to Magnepans than through my old EAR 802. The Herron does something that is not quite neutral there, something that breathes life into the music.

Now I am listening to Leonard Cohen, moving up in time from "I'm Your Man" to "You Want It Darker". Right now "Tower of Song".

The source is FLAC files played by JRIver (kernel streaming) into the LM 502CA. The sound reminds me of the time when I first listened to that vinyl album on my old Thorens 160 mkii tt with a new Ortofon MC 30 through an Olive Naim Nac 62 (S Card) / Nap 140 with Mission 737R speakers. I was bowled over.

A Danish review mentions that the Herron compromises by "enhancing" the sound towards the top and losing micro detail. Well, I must say that I never heard those micro details on the EAR 802. Also the mids and bass are superior. To me this amp is so much more fun. Even my wife came in and praised what it did to some of her favourite songs.

Now "I'm Leaving the Table" in playing - I'm smitten.

I'm Peter.

This is the best-sounding music play-back that I have ever had in my study. To me.

Herron VTSP2
    EAR 516
    Quad ESL 57
    DAC - Line Magnetic 502CA: Computer (USB out) --> Nuforce U192S (coax out) --> LM502CA
    TT - Thorens TD 147 Jubilee: Arcam rPhono (mm in use) + Partridge 977 SUT + Benz Micro Gullwing SLR cart
    Cassette Deck - Bang & Olufsen Beocord 6500
    Tuner system - Leak Stereofetic FM Tuner (through Leak Stereo 70 + JBL LX-310)

My only niggle is the high gain of the DAC chain which means that I only use 001 to 025 on the digital display out of 100.

Where to go from here?

(1) Upgrade phono stage to ... Paradise / Arkless Transconductor / Leben mm stage + SUT / Audion Premier mm stage + SUT / Herron + SUT / ... or?
    (2) Herron VTSP 360
    (3) Computer playback chain: new Paul Pang USB card? New usb/spdif converter? New DAC?
    (4) Stacked Quad ESL 57s.

Notes:
    (1) is achievable within a year or two depending on how much new music I buy.
    (2) I will need John Westlake to finally finish my long since ordered VFET monos so I can sell them on to bankroll this or just a Herron VTSP3 (which has two gain settings).
    (3) This is icing on the cake, and will be put very last on the list unless something goes up in flames.
    (4) Unnecessary icing on more unnecessary cakes. I can't accomodate stacked 57s in here anyway, and with the new old Herron VTSP2 music enjoyment has taken a quantum leap forward rendering this really unnecessary. Well, it was from the onset anyway.

I'm David.

I read your original question, which pre and phonostage? Maybe it's time to try and get a listen to a phonostage or two, but realise this is not easy.

I'm Peter.

It is easier now that I have a preamp I like the sound of. Otherwise there is no way around demoing the mm stages / mc-stages.

lordmortlock Guest

Haha, don’t you just hate it when buyers are really enthusiastic? You sell something and they send you a long email telling you that their new acquisition is THE BEST THING ever, and you die a bit inside and wish you’d never sold it! I’ve learnt not to do that when I buy now, it’s not kind lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast