+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project 1200

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Alex.

Default Project 1200

I have been inspired by the - quite frankly amazing - projects created by some of the forum members, I've decided to give it a go myself. Firstly thank you to everyone who has documented their projects, without these previous threads I'd have no chance; my electrical/electronics understanding is poor!

My plan is to keep it relatively simple for my first attempt then maybe move on to bigger and better things in the future. I bought a shabby looking Technics 1200 Mk2 off of eBay and today I finally stripped it down. I never took any pictures of it pre cleaning but it was minging! So much dust, filth and interesting looking dead bugs!

After stripping and cleaning I'm left with this

I like the idea of having a nice clean looking deck, so the lamp, power switch and pitch fader won't be going back in. Their old homes - along with the recess for the 45 adapter - will be filled with a resin. Here I have (hopefully) sealed all gaps with metal tape.

Then this horrible stuff will fill all the gaps I no longer need.

Like so:

This has been left to cure overnight ready for sanding tomorrow. It would seem now though that tomorrow is BBQ day so after finally starting, the project is on temporary hold!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by alcarmichael; 08-04-2017 at 21:41.

Bigman80 Guest

Damn sunshine getting in the way of a good build thread.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Alex.

I can't imagine the sunshine will be the cause of many delays!

I'm Hugo.

I got a custom paint job on my 1200 and lately I've been regretting not removing the pitch fader and going with the smooth surface look. So elegant

I'm Andrew.

Always nice to see a new techy being restored, revamped and modded!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Alex.

Sorry about the pictures, they looked OK on my phone. Only seeing now how blurry they are!

I'm Mel.

I think you should consider removing the last bit of electronics, motor and spindle/bearing before you start sanding - they come out very easily but ask if you need help or look for viperfrank on youtube for excellent advice.

Mel

I'm Mick.

This is one of the mods I have always fancied doing. Love the clean look once its all painted. Keep the pics coming Alex
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    I think you should consider removing the last bit of electronics, motor and spindle/bearing before you start sanding - they come out very easily but ask if you need help or look for viperfrank on youtube for excellent advice.

Mel
    I was going to initially, I started removing the screws then quickly realised there was some sort of thermal paste connecting the PCB (conductor?) to the chassis. I then decided it may be a better idea to leave said conductor where it is and protect the circuitry with paper and tape for sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubster68 View Post
    This is one of the mods I have always fancied doing. Love the clean look once its all painted. Keep the pics coming Alex
    I'll hopefully get some sanding done during tea breaks throughout the week. Will try and be more careful when taking pictures too.

I'm phil.

Looking forward to seeing the results I have removed the pitch fader myself, now thinking of a 2 arm model. I would consider removing the electrics before sanding as the fine dust will find a way through what ever you use to protect it.
    Modded td160 super Thorens ol encounter arm hana sl cart, angle audio studio pro mc virtual battery phono amp with separate psi, Onix pre and mono amps, Onix CD player, Onix BWD and soap tuner. B&W dm2 speakers or super pencil 12 speakers, atlas cables, seperate mains power supply with earth spike.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast