+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What will be the first upgrade you do on Technics sl1200 mk2

I'm Bikram.

Default What will be the first upgrade you do on Technics sl1200 mk2

Hi, I am newbie to vinyl world. Can someone suggest me what upgrade shall i look on my TT. I know there are many tweaks which can transform Technics tt to different level, but money will play a part as well. I am taking simultaneous steps to build it slowly. thanks

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Take the dust cover off when you play a record.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Nick.

Hi there. Check out KAB ( www.kabusa.com ). The owner, Kevin is extremely friendly & helpful. The majority of the site is about upgrading & modding Technics 1200's. I personally started with new tonearm wire & a new Cardas phono interconnect hardwired to the deck, so now I have pure litz wire going from the cartridge to the phono pre. The sound difference is extremely noticeable. It becomes much clearer with an overall soundstage upgrade. Better bass response, clearer mids, & beautiful high end. I didn't expect that much of a difference, but was pleasantly surprised. = )
    Hope that helps you out a bit.
    - Nick

I'm Bikram.

Quote Originally Posted by hiwattnick View Post
    Hi there. Check out KAB ( www.kabusa.com ). The owner, Kevin is extremely friendly & helpful. The majority of the site is about upgrading & modding Technics 1200's. I personally started with new tonearm wire & a new Cardas phono interconnect hardwired to the deck, so now I have pure litz wire going from the cartridge to the phono pre. The sound difference is extremely noticeable. It becomes much clearer with an overall soundstage upgrade. Better bass response, clearer mids, & beautiful high end. I didn't expect that much of a difference, but was pleasantly surprised. = )
    Hope that helps you out a bit.
    - Nick
    KAB is a USA based site and to order from there I have to pay rhe custom duty as well. what tonearm are you using on TT. thanks

I'm Nick.

I unfortunately didn't even think about the custom duty. Too bad there's no way around that, that I know of.
    Right now I'm just using the stock arm. With the litz wire going from the cartridge to the phono pre, I'm really pretty satisfied with it for now. Of course I'd love to try some other arms, but as you said, money becomes an issue, & I do what I can when I can. It's a fun journey, but can be an expensive one too.
    And the next mod I'm going to do is the KAB fluid damper, which is specifically designed for the stock tonearm.
    What type of headshell & cartridge are you using right now?

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by kambo_z View Post
    KAB is a USA based site and to order from there I have to pay rhe custom duty as well. what tonearm are you using on TT. thanks
    And you don't necessarily have to buy the new tonearm wire from KAB as long as its Cardas.
    The stock wire in the 1200's arm is not good.

I'm Alan.

There is a whole section dedicated to the Technichs decks where there is loads on information on upgrades
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/forum...he-Techiepedia

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Bikram.

@hiwattnick
    So it means, there is no point to spend money on rewire the tonearm. its better to buy jelco arm. I just surfing on this forum and one of a member offer a discount on Jelco 750d some time ago. I am not sure if he is still offering it with free sleeves. If someone can confirm here. Also some comments confusing me that its worth to upgrade or buy a new turntable.
    Last edited by kambo_z; 29-09-2017 at 08:02. Reason: name

I'm Bikram.

Quote Originally Posted by 337alant View Post
    There is a whole section dedicated to the Technichs decks where there is loads on information on upgrades
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/forum...he-Techiepedia

Alan
    Thanks. I will go through these forums.

I'm Jeff.

I think the first upgrade is to buy a record cleaning machine and some Art D'son fluid.

No point in doing any upgrades and then playing uncleaned records...

Then Cartridge, even a 30 quid At95e will sound FAR better than the DJ cart it probably came with.

Next up, rewire the tone arm, warning - this job isnt for the faint hearted

The stock arm is fine btw.

Most people who say to get another arm maybe havn't heard a rewired stock arm, especially with a Kab tone arm damper fitted.

Stock arms often sound crap because the wire Technics used is rubbish, and on a 20 year old arm its gonna be oxidised badly.

Next mod, get an Ian Mac bearing, massive improvement !

Then, get a decent phono stage, I recommend a secondhand LFD Audio MMO, sounds lovely !

Then after that, the mods only make more subtle differences, Mat, Feet, power supply...
    Technics Sl1210 mk2. MCRU Linear Power Supply Step 2, Funk Firm Achromat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Kab Tone Arm Damper, Kab arm rewiring kit, Kab Litz RCA wiring, Ortofon Concorde DJ S with Stylus 30, IanMac bearing.
    LFD MMO Phono Stage. Rega Elex-R Integrated Amp.Rega RS7 Speakers, TNT FFRC Speaker Cable. Nessie Vinyl Master RCM ( to take the misery out of record cleaning )
    Rega Dac.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast