+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Project 1200

I'm Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    After a long waste of time more progress has been made. I've bought some rattle cans from Halfords: etch primer, BMW jet black and lacquer.

3 coats of etch primer later:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What you'll need now is patience, patience and more patience. Each time you apply paint or primer, give it a few days to "gas-out" and harden. Maybe even longer with lacquer Then you sand it to prep for the next coat of paint. Since you're going for a gloss black finish you will be doing a copious amount of wet sanding with finer and finer grits of paper. Don't skip steps and you should end up with a fine finish.
    We the willing, working for the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

I'm Alan.

Id give that a coat of filler primer on top of that and then rub down

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Alex.

I think I'll leave the rubber base as is, I've cleaned it up and it looks in pretty good condition. Will consider building a plinth further down the line.

I was going to rub down then spray paint tomorrow, what would a coat of primer in between etch primer and paint help achieve? I'd have no problems just going and buying a tin if Halfords wasn't so bloody far away!

I'm Alan.

The etch primer is your key into the aluminium and also a barrier coat but its not very thick and you want to leave that coat in tact if you can if you rub it down you will expose that alu in places again.
    The filler primer is a high build coating which will fill in any marks scratches and rubs down really easy and very smooth fine finish so makes a great base for the gloss coats

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Alex.

Thank you for the advice, I will get some primer.

I'm Russell.

Looking great! You'll be spinning records in style in no time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Alex.

I hope so. But I've been distracted:

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    I hope so. But I've been distracted:

Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Alex.

Back to the turntable:

I've sprayed on 3 coats of filler primer and I'm seeing unevenness between the metal plinth and a small area of the filled pitch slider recess. More prep work required.

I'm Ken.

Are you rubbing down with a block, or just using your fingers?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast