Enjoy.

I own two of these.

Here's one in action on my Lenco.

Some notes.

The Denon 103M cartridge
------------------------

I make no excuses for errors in spelling, grammer, or punctuation. These are rough notes typed up over several nights.

Barbara Thompson - Paraphenalia

Keyboard piano could easily be discerned on the Barbara Thompson album paraphenalia. The last track track on side 2 of the album is a real work out between the bass and the keyboard piano, fantastic interaction between the two of them. I could hear plenty of seperation between the two and they both sounded totally neutral, very little, if any colouration here. Attack and transients very impressive. Notes seemed to start and stop on a penny. Bass impact was not as forceful or as trouser flappingley strong as my Ortofon Cadenza black
but then again this is a second hand £180 cartridge compared to a £1850 MC jobbie. Drum work really hammered along and cymbal work really shimmered. The 103M was a complete step up from my Reference MM cartridge a massively modded Shure M55E + neoSAS JICO stylus + Snakewood body (now referred to as the '55). The 103M seemed to give me the equivalent results to a pair of supertweeters with regards that degree of shimmer that they can throw into the mix. Detail ooozed out of every groove with this particular recording. The 103M was blessed with an excellently produced live recording that really has slipped under the radar of most Audiophiles. Surface noise was apparent but then again the record was a 50p purchase from a charity shop, the record is a little scratched but then again the 103M again produced a far better result than the '55 I normally run on the Lenco 75.

James Labrie - Vocals

James Labrie is the vocalist to dream theater and I decided to have a short listen to some of his more intimate vocals with him just plonked in front of the microphone. I only usually listen to these songs on the Technics 1210 with my SME V and Ortofon Cadenza black combination. The 103M lost a little detail with regards the rasp of his voice compared to the Cadenza Black some of the intimacy was
lost and some of the background detail with regards his phrasing of specific words. Aside from these small complaints the 103M gave a very intimate portrayal of the man sat on a stool singing down a mic not more than 8ft away. Excellent stuff.

Michael Newman - Bach - Sheffield Labs

My reference disc for tonal neutrality. A direct to disc cut which is just about as good as it gets with regards having a life
performance in your listening room. The 103M produced oodles of detail, Newman was sitting straight in front of me. Each pick of
the guitar was represented well and the timbral detail from this record was immense. The 103M didn't produce the best rendition
of this particular album, both my Garrard 301 and Technics 1210 proudce better sonics but then again these decks have MC's costing
several K strapped to the individual tonearms.

Kraftwerk - Trans Europe Express

I've always said that Technics 1210's were especially buily for analog synth music and it looks like I'm wrong. The old Lenco is
turning out to equally well equipped at producing analog synth, something may other Idler is not too good at. The 103M is producing a
nice wide soundstage, again with plenty of detail. There is a slight sibilance on some of the vocals but overall listening to Kraftwerk
on the Lenco proved to be a very enjoyable experience.

PRO'S.

- Fantastic ability to unravel complex passages. Bags of seperation and detail between instruments.
- Tonality. Again, excellent, whilst not the best it's certainly matches upto MC's in the £K's.
- Transient attack is extremely good, whilst not the very best I've heard it certainly the best at the price point of the

CONS

- The cartridge is very very rare so it may take some persistance before you snag a decent one.
- NONE at this pricepoint.

CONCLUSION
----------

This little MC is a giant killer. It easily equals carts in the £1K price range and I would suggest that it gives MC carts in the
higher price ranges a series run for their money. A little tweaking may be needed and an additional wooden dampener and a little
extra mass may be useful to get the most from the cart but it is well worth the experimentation. The cartridge is extremely rare
and only produced for a couple of years. By buying one of these carts you bypass the need to tweak. You don't need to buy an expensive
after market cartridge body. You will probably get more from the cart by using a SUT or Head amp. I used a very heavily modded
Lentek Head Amp to very great effect. This is my new reference budget giant killing MC cart. It's stopping on my Lenco '75 and it's
going to take something pretty special to topple it.