+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So how good is the LS3/5a?

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post

If buying my first speaker today I would be looking at a single driver full range unit or a well matched two driver unit with minimal crossover circuitry.

Geoff
    At the risk of corrupting my own thread with drift, this is a fascinating subject in itself. My guess is that our systems are as they are largely as a result of gradual evolution over time, rather than fundamental transformation at intervals. Obviously, given that we all have an interest in the equipment as well as the music, it's natural that we keep our eyes and ears open regarding other equipment and other ways of reproducing music. It's also natural that we want to try something new from time to time, even if just out of curiosity. But I suspect that we make changes to our systems in a relatively conservative and linear fashion. We probably remain wedded to fundamental aspects of our set-ups, partly because it reflects how we see ourselves, audio-wise ("I prefer valves", I always like a D/D turntable", "electrostatics all the way" and so on), but also because there is often a significant financial investment embedded in our systems, and swapping something major out could involve losing a sizeable chunk of money in second-hand sales value. So we proceed crab-wise.

But it is interesting to ponder what we would each do if we were told we had a clean sheet of paper and we didn't have to start from where we are now.
    IB

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    Yes, Dennis. I suspect this is exactly it. Over the years I think I have probably developed a liking for a fairly fast, lean and forward sound (Lowther and Quad ESLs) in other words pretty much the opposite of what I now take to be the "BBC" sound. Curiously (and happily for me) my current loudspeakers, which are Audio Note AN-Js, seem to do the lot - everything from light and airy to creamy and luscious. I guess this is what I now (rightly or wrongly) take to be a "well-balanced" presentation.

IB
    Not sure if the BBC thought the Quad ESLs (the 57s) were opposite to the "BBC sound". The BBC used Quad 57s to monitor the quality of their broadcasts on the World Service.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-04-2017 at 12:14.
    Barry

I'm Dennis.

I would go a little further IB, and touch on a subject discussed elsewhere; ontological security.

The 'self' we form is always an approximation in a tide of information and social norms; these influence substantially our values.

With our Hi-Fi journey we 'take a stand' at some point, and spend some money, and we look questioningly at out peers with their different choices. There is always the internally felt 'threat' that theirs is better than ours, and that we have made a mistake.

As the years progress we do actually have 'breakthrough learning epiphanys' and this can produce a revolutionary change to what we adopt as our new system. It takes real confidence to undo all that accumulated and embedded work and finalisation, and to fully grasp the change.

I agree that there is a relatively linear change over time, but that is I think, mostly refining a basic configuration.

Then we get an insight, and wonder, and ponder, and analyse, and then ask, do I jump or not? If we do it has IME given a great deal of upset and worry to the situation. What, if after all those months of working on the speakers, which were very good already, and I have improved considerably, if I have made a mistake by selling them? I'll never get them back. Oh that new sound, I've never heard that before, is it an artefact/error, or a new revelation of truth?

This is not an easy thing to be involved in for the above reasons.

I'm Dennis.

"Note sure if the BBC thought the Quad ESLs (the 57s) were opposite to the "BBC sound". The BBC used Quad 57s to monitor the quality of their broadcasts on the World Service. "

When, I didn't see them at Bush. (LS10, LS 5/5, LS 3/4, then BC1)

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    "Not sure if the BBC thought the Quad ESLs (the 57s) were opposite to the "BBC sound". The BBC used Quad 57s to monitor the quality of their broadcasts on the World Service. "

When, I didn't see them at Bush. (LS10, LS 5/5, LS 3/4, then BC1)
    Probably before your time. The following is an advertisment by Quad in 1967 showing the 'Listening and Demonstration Room of the BBC Transcription Service' (might have been mistaken re. the World Service):

Barry

I'm Martyn.

The LS3/5as have always divided opinion.
    I like them, but know their limitations.
    I've owned various makes and have to say that the Falcon Acoustics kit I built
    were the best sounding.
    The price of used ones is ridiculous, mainly due to Far East collectors who don't buy them to listen
    to.
    At about £450/£500 they would be a good buy.
    New, at over £2000 I would not ever consider them.
    Unfortunately I don't see old used ones ever dropping in price.
    Having said all that, they are unique and superb on voice.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I would go a little further IB, and touch on a subject discussed elsewhere; ontological security.

The 'self' we form is always an approximation in a tide of information and social norms; these influence substantially our values.

With our Hi-Fi journey we 'take a stand' at some point, and spend some money, and we look questioningly at out peers with their different choices. There is always the internally felt 'threat' that theirs is better than ours, and that we have made a mistake.

As the years progress we do actually have 'breakthrough learning epiphanys' and this can produce a revolutionary change to what we adopt as our new system. It takes real confidence to undo all that accumulated and embedded work and finalisation, and to fully grasp the change.

I agree that there is a relatively linear change over time, but that is I think, mostly refining a basic configuration.

Then we get an insight, and wonder, and ponder, and analyse, and then ask, do I jump or not? If we do it has IME given a great deal of upset and worry to the situation. What, if after all those months of working on the speakers, which were very good already, and I have improved considerably, if I have made a mistake by selling them? I'll never get them back. Oh that new sound, I've never heard that before, is it an artefact/error, or a new revelation of truth?

This is not an easy thing to be involved in for the above reasons.
    That's an interesting and ... er ... insightful post!
    IB

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    That's an interesting and ... er ... insightful post!
    IB
    +1
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers