+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So how good is the LS3/5a?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Geoff.

I think the answer is pretty good for a speaker getting on for a pension. I have owned a pair of Rogers LS3/5a speakers for close to 40 years. At the time they were (just) affordable at £150 and suited my living arrangements (university student in small room). I bought then because they sounded closest to my aspirational speaker of the time: Quad ESL57s. Unfortunately I could neither afford nor accommodate the Quads, so the LS3/5a was a good second best.

I still have my Rogers pair which are in excellent condition and with no obvious signs of aging. However, I do not play them much anymore and would not choose to buy a new pair of the design at the current asking price. Technology has moved on and there are better ways of spending £1300 today. In the Roger's defence, it takes something like a Kef LS50 to better it at £800. If the current price of the LS3/5a were around £650 I could see it being a viable contender in today's market, though my preferences have changed and it would not be my choice today, even at that price.

Geoff

I'm Gary.

That's an interesting story, Geoff. But the notion of a student with LS3/5as startles me! You are right, they were not the crazy money then that they are now (thanks, Japan!), but still very much a quality speaker.

Did you ever got your ESL57s?
    IB

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinitely Baffled View Post
    That's an interesting story, Geoff. But the notion of a student with LS3/5as startles me! You are right, they were not the crazy money then that they are now (thanks, Japan!), but still very much a quality speaker.

Did you ever got your ESL57s?
    IB
    I can understand how you might think this but is says more about how society has changed than how the hifi industry has changed. Obviously, there were no student fees in 1997, and living in London there was no shortage of employment opportunities. Yes, £150 was a lot of money at that time but I earned enough after working every hour possible to buy a good hifi and plenty of vinyl too! Although I did well academically it was not due to keeping out of the bar or the 24 hour snooker halls!

I never did buy any ESL57s but have had a variety of Magneplanars which deliver much of what I liked about the Quads as well as better bass slam.

Geoff

I'm Shaun.

Back in 1997 I used a pair of Rogers rosewood LS3/5a's with a Musical Fidelity A100 amp and I adored the sound. The stereo imaging was almost the best I have ever heard but that unbelievably tizzy upper mid was their downfall and the reason I moved them on. They were single wired and cost 350 quid brand new.

+ Reply to Thread