+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Kind of Speakers are Best?

I'm Russell.

Default What Kind of Speakers are Best?

Since we've had so much talk about analog vs digital, and the usual cable talk, here's a question of philosophy! What kind of speakers do you think are best, and why?

When I say what kind, I'm not speaking about brand, too many brands to contemplate. I'm speaking of design, such as folded horns? Box speakers, both Floor Standers and Bookshelf. And Electrostatics? Are there any other design principles I've forgotten?

These differences in speaker choices make more difference in the way a system sounds than most any other choice. More than cables, more than CD or vinyl, the difference in Sound between a folded horn and an Electrostatic are major.

Personally, I own large floorstanding box type speakers, I like the visceral impact and slam they offer, and trueness of timber. But! Having said that, the most realistic, musicians in the same room with you, sound I've ever heard was from electrostatics. I could not believe how far I could hear into the music, the depth was so real. I could tell the singer was 5 feet in front of the drummer, I could see the bass player standing 6 feet to her left, and a guitar 4 feet to her right. The system driving it had everything to do with it, but still, Electrostatics produced the most lifelike playback I've ever heard.

But I've heard some very entertaining horns before too! Strings in particular were very real, and everything sounded very large, but they were also very telling of weaknesses upstream.

I feel this is a very personal thing. This choice controls the overall sound of our systems, this choice says a lot about our personal philosophies concerning hi-fi. And it has a major influence on the amplification we choose to power them with.

So? What's your preference and why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

You've opened a proper 'can of worms' there.

Everybody has their own favourite type of speaker. There is no 'best', just choices. I like electrostatics, heard many and owned Quads. I like decent transmission line speakers and some horns as well. I've tried many types and makes, but inevitably revert to using proper Tannoy dual concentrics. Have done for over forty years. I am also having fun with a small pair of classic KEFs at the moment though, they are extremely good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Fullrange single driver in reflex box, no xover for me.
    Last edited by struth; 08-04-2017 at 10:34.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Electrostatics do some things the best but not the lower frequencies, they are accurate but lack a bit of 'slam'. Not heard any monster examples though so maybe they can do that too, don't know. Sorted QUAD ESLs are about 90% perfect, the missing 10% puts me off though.

Horns, folded or otherwise, bit too coloured and everything is too 'big' - multi way horns like Speedy Steves work well, but into the realms of crazy extreme DIY

Omni and semi-Omni can't really get on with, their presentation is too different for me

Transmission lines - proper ones not tiny little standmounts pretending - trade off between bass power and bass accuracy, sounds like a real bass is playing but at the same time you can't 'see' the bass player's fingers on the frets - if there is a TL that can do this not heard it.

Open Baffles - almost like electrostatics, unlike them they do have the slam but don't get the low bass right enough for me. I prefer box bass, sounds more like what I expect bass to sound like.

And the speaker must be big. Not interested in any speaker that cannot do effortless scale of sound.

2 way and 2 and a half way are too compromised. One driver trying to do the lot, improve the bass the mid suffers, improve the mid, bass suffers.

So big, true 3 way speakers are my favourites. Exception being the JBL '4' series - big bass driver matched with a horn loaded compression driver, no crossover in the critical area, the likes of the 4365 just embarrass other high end speakers they are so clean and effortless. Big Tannoy DC I like for the same reason but the JBL method has the edge for me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

They all have good and bad points so it's not possible to give a definitive answer. It's like asking "which is the best food ?" No answer.

I'm Martin.

You can say what your own favourite food is though.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Jez.

I pretty much agree with Macca on the Quad ELS speakers... probably the best I've ever heard.... so long as you don't want it really loud and don't mind holding your head very still in a +/- 2" listening position that is!

I'd like to experiment with open baffle speakers after being very impressed indeed with some Linkwitz ones that someone brought along to a NEBO (sorry can't remember blokes name). They made every other speaker I heard that day sound like a toy! I would make them as 3 or 4 way active using analogue crossovers. A large round tuit needed plus lots of money for that though!

Another possible speaker project on the cheap is to finish making my Mission 770's active.... I tried this 20 odd years ago but it was a dismal failure. I now know, or at least have a very good idea, why they were so bad, and how to do it properly, so it would be a very interesting project to re-visit
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Phil.

I like hybrid electrostatics with a subwoofer integrated with a panel . like martin logan . takes a lot to beat them

using a 2 box speaker currently which is excellent . very satisfying even if not quite the bass and slam of logans . still got lovely vocals and sweet upper and mids

heard some lovely horns too and maybe one day will try
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Peter.

You call those speakers?

These are speakers .... https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...-wall-of-sound

Now, those are proper JBLs, Martin

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post
    You call those speakers?

These are speakers .... https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...-wall-of-sound

Now, those are proper JBLs, Martin
    Yep must have packed a bit of a punch. But if I set that lot up in the living room I wouldn't be able to get into the kitchen. You can see the bind I'm in.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast