+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Random access music

I'm Alex.

Cool Random access music

One of the reasons I like LPs is they give me the ability to swoop right in the middle of any music and pick up the listening from that point on. That's something that no other technology, no matter how far advanced it may be, is capable of offering.

This is especially important to me, being a big prog rock fan. Many prog rock LPs I listen to usually consist of one song per LP side, usually the duration would be between 20 to 26, 27 minutes. Most of the time, I just want to re-listen to my favourite part of the song, like a 5 minute synth solo that starts somewhere around the 18th minute or so.

With records, I just bring the tonearm to that approximate location and drop the needle. With tapes, I have to fast forward. Same crap must be endured with digital sources. Only LP gives you that beautiful random access to music, thanks to it being a solid, physical object that can be visually expected.

Unbeatable!
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Andrew.

HaHa. Coincidentally I've been playing my music files randomly via random song play on my Squeezebox Touch. It's great to listen to songs I might not have chosen deliberately and reminds me what great music is hidden away. Try that with your records! By the way, I'm not being confrontational. I play LP's too.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    HaHa. Coincidentally I've been playing my music files randomly via random song play on my Squeezebox Touch. It's great to listen to songs I might not have chosen deliberately and reminds me what great music is hidden away. Try that with your records! By the way, I'm not being confrontational. I play LP's too.
    I agree, it's fun to every now and then shuffle the deck of cards. Just to clarify -- I wasn't talking about 'random access tracks', rather about 'random access music within the tracks'.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I agree, it's fun to every now and then shuffle the deck of cards. Just to clarify -- I wasn't talking about 'random access tracks', rather about 'random access music within the tracks'.
    Yes, I get that. The random bit just seemed like a coincidence. Horses for courses I suppose.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    Yes, I get that. The random bit just seemed like a coincidence. Horses for courses I suppose.

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread