+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cainman SEG + Headphone Synergy

Default Cainman SEG + Headphone Synergy

I'm looking to create a small headphone only bedroom system to hide from Mrs Lad when the TV is blaring away. The SEG looks to be an ideal headphone amp & DAC all in one box. I know nothing about headphones and what goes with what so I would be grateful if users of the SEG could comment on if there are any particular brand/ models that go particularly well with the SEG . Budget about £300 for the phones.

Thanks

I would have a look at the AKG K701, and the Beyer Dynamics DT990 250 Ohms. Both are going for less than £150 these days, which is a nice saving on their earlier prices. The K701 is classed as a difficult to drive headphone if you search for comments on them on the net. But as other k701 owners and a Caiman DAC can testify, the Caiman will drive them and make them sound a lot more expensive. Between those and your £300 limit there isn't much else out there that I know of, except maybe the DT880. But the difference between that and the DT990 is a slight increase in bass.

Thank you, will do some research on the AKG and Beyer, I did notice at the very start of the thread on the SEG you liking the Sennheiser 800, which is of course out of my budget, any similar positive experiences with the 650 which is in the ball park price wise?

The HD650 would also be fine, but I left it off the list due to its higher than £300 cost.

I'm Mike.

I've plugged a pair of AKG K550 II's into my SEG and am more than happy. Drop me a pm if you want to come around for a listen.

Thanks for the generous offer, where in Shropshire are you Mike ?

I'm Mike.

Halfway House so not far from you.

I'm Tim.

I run a pair of PSB m4u2 cans with my SEG and it drives them easy and don't sound that bad either ,they are 32 Ohms

+ Reply to Thread