+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best quote of the day

I'm Geoff.

Have a listen to a pair of proper big Tannoys. That'll mess your day up!

You'll never be the same again.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Part 2: "When audiophiles realise that they are listening to their equipment, they either quit or spend a lot to get back to listening to the music again. Some are never cured though..."
    Part 3: "Someone who's system is worth than their music collection, loves equipment more than music..."

Discuss!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Part 3: "Someone who's system is worth than their music collection, loves equipment more than music..."

Discuss!

Marco.
    Not something I've ever considered really. My records are certainly worth more now than when I bought them and possibly the same applies to the gear in my system, so I'd have a job working it out!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Whatever turns you on i guess. Think most folk would like to have an expensive fancy system if they didnt have to worry about costs. Nowadays you dont need a music collection anyway if you just stream from, say Tidal which is lossless. In some ways it makes sense, as for 20 quid a month you get access to 40 million tracks. You never own anything but your system could be quite small, quite expensive and technically have no music there. Could be a bugger if your interweb went tits up of course.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    for 20 quid a month you get access to 40 million tracks.
    Not that I do, but I reckon I'd sooner spend £240 a year on records and CDs. Of course that means more room is needed though.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Whatever turns you on i guess. Think most folk would like to have an expensive fancy system if they didnt have to worry about costs. Nowadays you dont need a music collection anyway if you just stream from, say Tidal which is lossless. In some ways it makes sense, as for 20 quid a month you get access to 40 million tracks. You never own anything but your system could be quite small, quite expensive and technically have no music there. Could be a bugger if your interweb went tits up of course.
    I only invested quite heavily in my Analogue equipment as i had spent most of my life collecting records and figured after years and years of listening on a 'poor' system that the record collection deserved something better
    (although at the time I really enjoyed my music on what I had, I knew no different!). If I were starting out again i doubt i would go the Vinyl road with where digital presentation is today, and the cost effectiveness of a digital system.
    Getting that balance right of equipment cost outlay to music collection worth is a very real equation for me. You can buy a lot of music for the price of a very good amplifier.

I still buy records pretty extensively and it's a conscious effort to replenish the collection to warrant the Hifi investment. If that makes sense. It's real pound juggling as far as I am concerned when funds are so stretched and Music & HiFi
    isn't the only priority.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Rob.

I became semi-retired in 2012 and found that my long-term condition which the doc diagnosed as "upgradeitis" started to diminish, I also stopped listening to the system and just enjoyed the music. I don't feel the need to "check the system" every day
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Dennis.

Now I can hear clearly what is going on, I am looking for art that is worthwhile and not lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I also stopped listening to the system and just enjoyed the music. I don't feel the need to "check the system" every day
    That's the happy place where everyone's 'head should be at'... It's certainly where mine is these days. Too many folks in this hobby appear to suffer from a (seemingly incurable) illness.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Not something I've ever considered really. My records are certainly worth more now than when I bought them and possibly the same applies to the gear in my system, so I'd have a job working it out!
    OK, let's see....

I've got approximately 3500 records, 1500 of which were brought brand new, at an average price of £25, so thats £37.5k, for starters.

The remaining 2000 were bought second-hand, at say, an average cost of £5, so that's another £10k... However, in reality it's probably rather more, as I have quite a few rare and collectable classic albums on vinyl, which cost considerably more than £5!

I've got around 2500 CDs, all of which were bought brand new, at an average cost, of say, £10, so that's another £25k... I've also got about another 1000 or so CDs, which are simply copies, but I'll just ignore that.

Total music spend: (approx) £72.5k

Last time I totalled up the cost of my system and ancillaries, it was just shy of £35k, so I'm pretty happy with my 'music owning-to-equipment' ratio

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast