+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best quote of the day

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol... I've got very wide tastes in music, Oliver, so I love exploring different genres and previously unheard of artists, which is part of the fun with the NAS drives and downloading new music from various sites

Can't stand playing the same old stuff, again and again, or only listening to the same music I used to listen to 20 or 30 years ago!

Marco.
    Im always on the lookout Marco, but there's very little that makes ot into my collection permanently. Digital is very good for not committing money to a shit album.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Mission 774 OG Tonearm > Toshiba SR 370 Turntable > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Firebottle OTP Phono Stage > Firebottle Monoblocks > Fisual Hollywood Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

No worries, mate. I'm finding interesting new stuff all the time, especially with indie, blues, electronica and classical genres

Marco.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do". - Milan Kundera.

My system:

Modified Technics SL-1210MK5G/Mike New high-precision bearing & baseplate/Mike New ETP platter/Bruil record weight/Nagaoka GL602 crystal T/T mat. Paul Hynes SR7EHD PSU (plus regulator modules)/DCSXL pure-silver DC lead. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm/'Speedy Steve' custom-made Ebony armboard. Yannis Tome 423.5 Phono Silver-Litz tonearm cable, with Furutech CF-DIN(R) and Eichmann silver Bullet Plugs. Cartridges: Denon DL-S1 in AT MG-10 headshell with AT-6106 Quattro Hybrid lead-wire. Denon DL-103C1 in '103U' headshell with AT-609 silver lead-wire. Vintage Denon DL-103AU in AT-Ti15ANV Titanium Headshell. Shure M55E in Denon PCL-300 headshell with 6N silver lead-wire. Shure original USA SC35C. Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 transport/DAC. Raspberry Pi-3 Model B and IQaudio Pi-DAC+/Paul Hynes SR3DR-05 linear PSU/Williams Audio NAS linear PSU. Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X preamp. Modified Goldpoint SA4M-47 passive preamp. Stereo Coffee LDR. Head-amp: Paul Hynes design/SR5 PSU. Also modified Lentek. Tube Distinctions 50W Class A P/P Copper amp with cryo-treated Tung Sol KT150s. Speakers: 'Lockwood Majors', using 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds, modified with bespoke crossovers. Also Celestion Ditton 15XRs. Stands: Mana Acoustics (non-magnetic stainless steel 'clones’). Hi-Fi Racks Podium T/T wall shelf. Sony ST-5055L tuner. Cables: Furukawa EE/F-S 2mm & 2.6mm solid-core mains leads, fitted with Furutech FI-50 IECs and FI-1363Rs. Stereo interconnects: Sommer Carbokab 225 (with silver-plated MS Audio non-metallic POM RCAs). Speaker cable: VDH 'The Wind' Hybrid II. Digital coaxial cable: 1m Trompeter Electronics Triax TRC-75-2, with MS Audio ‘Starline' silver-plated RCAs. Mains block: Mark Grant 6-way, modded with Furutech FP-1363R sockets and Furukawa cable. Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW 16.5 record cleaner.

I'm Dennis.

So what are the criteria for choice - I know mine.

Right back in the teens and into the twenties, whilst becoming an adult, and in what I argue was a period of great musical art and revolution, and before the corporations got their hands on it, I was absolutely 'shaken' by much that I heard.

It was for me because the songs spoke of the politics (small 'p') of the world; human interactions, and abuses, injustices, and the problems to be faced. I could list all the vital formative ones, and I'm sure many here would also empathise.

But it is essentially a learning process, and one develops; Three Blind Mice may well be enchanting and exciting for a three year old, but not for one of ten, and so it goes on into a more complex understanding both intellectually, and more importantly, emotionally; the way what we hear resonates with our personal experiences, and reinforces our values.

For me, I keep little music compared with most here, but it is seminal to my growth and development, and my vinyl is historically positioned on a shelf as a record of that. I have duplicated much in CD also, and I use it as references to my own earlier emotional reactions, in my attempts to aid my current artistically similar aspirations.

If you think 'pop' is not a powerful form, then look at just how often references are made to it on news media, usually in caption form. The period I refer to was groundbreaking and shapeshifting, and has really changed society. Whether or not we address the issues positively to produce a better future, is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Im always on the lookout Marco, but there's very little that makes ot into my collection permanently. Digital is very good for not committing money to a shit album.
    Ah, the shit album problem. Back when I were a lad, and had very little money, an album was a major purchase. I spent hours in record shops, flipping through the racks, trying to decide which album to buy; knowing that it would be months before my next purchase. I remember to this day my bitter disappointment when an LP I got as a birthday present turned out to be a stinker. I played it lots of times, hoping to 'get' it, then gave up on the thing. I also held on to several other rubbish LPs, but sold most of them when I ran out of money during a period of unemployment.

Now, even in terms of physical media, it's a non-issue. I got a £20 Fopp voucher as one of my birthday presents. At their prices, that means I can buy four albums, or two lots of the 'five albums by ...' series, making ten albums in total. Birthdays and Christmas aside, if I wanted to, I could spend £20 a week on albums, every week of the year. Even if half turned out to be rubbish, it'd be no big deal.

I'm Geoff.

Like it or not. The artistic revolution of the sixties and seventies was fueled by LSD and Cannabis. I have no doubt most creative people were using those and and this was the influence that brought on such radical changes. What was previously 'pop music' became the message board for the more serious feelings of young people.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Grant.

Ah yes Fopp. I was once led there but they dont have an online store, or didnt. A strange turn of events when most record companies are doing the opposite. No idea to this day if they sell anything worthwhile and guess i never will..
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.5- TONBRUX BATTERY SUPPLY & CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no1 - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - DENON DV2900 & HEAVILY MODDED MF X10v3. - PIONEER SA8100 AMPLIFIER. - WIN10 JRIVER22, SPOTIFY PREMIUM- AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 HEADPHONES, KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no2 POWERED BY ANKER BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - CARTS.. AT95S, SHURE M55E, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PUREAV.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ah yes Fopp. I was once led there but they dont have an online store, or didnt. A strange turn of events when most record companies are doing the opposite. No idea to this day if they sell anything worthwhile and guess i never will..
    They over-expanded, went bust and closed down completely a few years back, then re-opened a few stores. They have a great selection of DVDs and rock CDs, but are less good with jazz and classical (though I've picked up some excellent jazz titles at £3 each).

I'm Gary.

It's interesting how you get your memory jogged, reminded recently of saxophonist Candy Dolfur and a song Lilly Was Here with David A Stewart. Bought the Vinyl copy off eBay.

Absolutely stunning album, produced by David Stewart himself on the Anxious label.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Ah, the shit album problem. Back when I were a lad, and had very little money, an album was a major purchase. I spent hours in record shops, flipping through the racks, trying to decide which album to buy; knowing that it would be months before my next purchase. I remember to this day my bitter disappointment when an LP I got as a birthday present turned out to be a stinker. I played it lots of times, hoping to 'get' it, then gave up on the thing. I also held on to several other rubbish LPs, but sold most of them when I ran out of money during a period of unemployment.

Now, even in terms of physical media, it's a non-issue. I got a £20 Fopp voucher as one of my birthday presents. At their prices, that means I can buy four albums, or two lots of the 'five albums by ...' series, making ten albums in total. Birthdays and Christmas aside, if I wanted to, I could spend £20 a week on albums, every week of the year. Even if half turned out to be rubbish, it'd be no big deal.
    Im not in a position to throw money at albums I dont like so I have to choose carefully. I find digital sources are great for sampling new artists

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Mission 774 OG Tonearm > Toshiba SR 370 Turntable > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Firebottle OTP Phono Stage > Firebottle Monoblocks > Fisual Hollywood Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I worked for them and it's a sorry tale how the chain died.
    We did have an online store for a while and it was actually based in my shop in Southampton - one of the largest branches - but it was only ever a half-hearted effort and we didn't do much business. It was essentially like visiting the shop itself via remote rather than accessing the vast warehouses of the major online retailers ..

The few branches still open - Bristol Park Street is a cracking little example - are mostly owned by HMV now but they kept the Fopp ethos of ultra-value prices and interesting back cat/artist selections, as well as an esoteric literature section
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, A&R P77 > Musical Fidelity XLPS v3 Phono Stage
    Sony CDP-XE520 CD Player > SMSL Sanskrit DAC
    Pure DAB tuner
    Tisbury Mk.1 pre-amp > 2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps > Rega Jura Mk.2 speakers
    Grado SR80 headphones

www.paulridgeblog.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast