+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Croft Vitale ...... a bit of an unknown

I'm Shaun.

I understand what you are saying and I also quoted that it was not really fair to compare with my current amplifiers because of the difference in cost but cheap components are cheap components and as I also said, reputations are built on such things. Of course they are also ruined by such cost cutting and once a dog has a bad name it sticks. The components used in the Croft casework including the switches are very cheap and very flimsy. If one is prepared to overlook this major factor then all is well as the sound quality is impeccable.

I'm James.

"Joe, I have one of these along with a Micro 25 Basic preamp and still get absolutely staggered by the detail this power amp uncovers in the music. It is capable of driving some quite difficult loads with my own Dali speakers dipping to 3.8 Ohms in places and has a serious authority and control over its output.

In pure music terms, the amplifier stuns with the amount of detail it uncovers and the way in which low level backing vocals become so obvious. I love the band Ezio and their sound is truly fabulous from this amplifier especially the attack on their acoustic guitars. The amplifier does not quite have the 'air' and 'space' of a good 300B valve setup but it is a lot more powerful and authoritative in its appreciation of sounds.

I do not want another amplifier setup. I have now found the best I have ever heard in around thirty years of using Hi-Fi."

I wonder who wrote this?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    "Joe, I have one of these along with a Micro 25 Basic preamp and still get absolutely staggered by the detail this power amp uncovers in the music. It is capable of driving some quite difficult loads with my own Dali speakers dipping to 3.8 Ohms in places and has a serious authority and control over its output.

In pure music terms, the amplifier stuns with the amount of detail it uncovers and the way in which low level backing vocals become so obvious. I love the band Ezio and their sound is truly fabulous from this amplifier especially the attack on their acoustic guitars. The amplifier does not quite have the 'air' and 'space' of a good 300B valve setup but it is a lot more powerful and authoritative in its appreciation of sounds.

I do not want another amplifier setup. I have now found the best I have ever heard in around thirty years of using Hi-Fi."

I wonder who wrote this?
    As indeed I have already broached here for those who care to read.

However, I now have amplification that way exceeds that of the then Croft setup which dates back to 2009. Taken in the context of 2017, the quote was valid when it was made but is certainly not now. However, I do wonder how much Glenn has improved the overall quality of his product in that interim period.

I'm Mark.

I eventually resorted to a warm/hot iron & brown paper to pull the grease out from the grain on the front panel.
    I'd hoped the vinegar solution would have been sufficient but it was clearly more ingrained and required something more drastic.
    It's not perfect yet but almost un-noticeable compared to how it was.

Plenty of albums being played to appreciate the performance of this combination and pretty impressed so far. I know upgrades will be beneficial but as a base purchase it was worth the experiment.

Some pieces I've listened to have been a revelation and each successive album has me dribbling in anticipation.

I'm Geoff.

Try a liberal application of talcum power with brown paper and a warm/hot iron. Talc soaks anything up.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Try a liberal application of talcum power with brown paper and a warm/hot iron. Talc soaks anything up.
    I just need to search through my stash of 70s gentlemen's accoutrements to see if I still own any talc. Plenty of Pino Sylvestre and Aramis !!

Seriously though - thanks for that idea it does sound a reasonable way to soak up the residue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234