+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Buying Trio KA amps from Germany?

I'm Patrick.

Default Buying Trio KA amps from Germany?

I've been looking at Trio KA amps from the 70's and someone in Germany is selling a few. I am thinking I would just need to stick on a UK plug adapter and that it would be ready to play. But is this likely to have any impact on the sonic abilities of the amp? Would I need a separate power adapter etc to get it sounding it's best?

Bigman80 Guest

Heres what I know from experience

It isnt wise to plug an amplifier rated for 220v into the UK power supply. Depending on where you live your home supply can go up to 250+v (mine gets up to 250v @ times)

Amps can draw a lot of current when in use and this will cause issues with the capacitors.

You cant buy a 240v to 220v converter for sensible money so you'll either need a bucking transformer fitted or a variac.

If you know someone electronically gifted. You should be fine

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

It depends to a large extent on the rating of the internal reservoir capacitors.

In Bigman80's case the internal supply voltages were close to the maximum ratings and the capacitors would definitely have been over driven.

For example if the capacitors were rated at 50V and the internal supply was 40V with 220V mains, then raising the mains to 250V should be OK.

I'm Kevin.

If it is an amp with a 230/240V input, just remove the Schuko plug and fit a UK plug.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Patrick.

Thanks the feedback, it's really helpful. So from what I understand it is doable. Is it the norm that an amp in Germany would have a 230/240volt input?

I'm Grant.

Some do. Depends on the tx fitted. If it was the same basic model for everywhere it could have a 110 tap position too. Others were uk specific and some euro .it will say on back either on a label or it will have a switch or plug to move. Sometimes you have to change fuse, and some have fuses for both
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Simon75 View Post
    Thanks the feedback, it's really helpful. So from what I understand it is doable. Is it the norm that an amp in Germany would have a 230/240volt input?
    Its usually​ 220/230 I believe.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Kevin.

I just checked out a few KA amps on ebay.de and the majority look like they are 220V.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Patrick.

Just looking at a Trio KA 9100 on gumtree at the moment (collection only unfortunately). It has a switch on the back for 110-120 volts or 220-240 volts. Doesn't mean they are the same in Germany of course.

+ Reply to Thread