+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maybe you all know - R3 FLAC streaming

I'm James.

That's a shame.

There is a 'Rate' icon at the top of the page which when you've clicked how many starts you think appropriate takes you to a mini survey.
    Also there's a 'Share' option for Twitter and/or Facebook.
    Perhaps fill these in and the BBC may take note and roll it out on a more permanent basis in the future if enough express an interest in it.

James.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    I now see the reson for the discrepancies in sampling rates...

If you go into your sound device's properties, then advanced, there's an option to set the default sampling rate when in 'shared mode', or there is with my iFi
    From 16/44.1 through to 24/192...mine's set to 16/44.1 as I only play 'red book' FLAC

Whatever I set my default to, shows as the rate on playback, so firefox is using the sound device in shared mode...so unless the stream details are available how can one set the appropriate rate...it just states lossless
    Does this imply that your kit is downsampling to 44.1 kHz before doing the DAC? Can the setting to be set to "same as source", or to 48k Hz?
    Dave

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    Does this imply that your kit is downsampling to 44.1 kHz before doing the DAC? Can the setting to be set to "same as source", or to 48k Hz?
    I'm not sure about Windows 10 but anything earlier 'converts' anything to whatever is set in 'Playback Devices' in the Advanced Tab. So if you set it to 44.1 it 'down-samples' everything to 44.1. If you set it to 192 it 'up-samples' everything to 192.

If there is a way to set 'Same as Source' I'd love to know how to do this.....................anyone? Please?
    I run Windows 7.

Jim.

I'm James.

I contacted the BBC and had a reply that it is 48kHz.

I have asked if there are any plans to roll it out for other stations and for a longer period. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Jim.

I'm Dave.

I have heard that the Proms this summer will be distributed in the same way - that's R3 mostly. I must remember to let the BBC know that I think the trial shows promise, and better quality than anything else that they've done for us in the public in recent years.

https://radiotoday.co.uk/2017/04/bbc...aming-quality/

Re listening on a Windows system (and possibly others?) if the default sampling rate is set to anything other than 48 kHz, then there will be sampling rate conversion - which will introduce some additional artefacts. Golden eared listeners might notice this, so it may make sense to set the default rate to 48kHz to get the best results. I think that generally sample rate conversions aren't too damaging, though there are different ways that can be done, and some are better than others. There will be measurable effects - but arguably they will be inaudible to most people.
    Dave

I'm James.

That's good news re the Proms.

J

I'm Rob.

Found this - https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...lac-streaming/

As a result, using the latest VLC v3.0.0 nightly build I'm able to listen to the BBC FLAC stream via the URL:

https://vs-dash-ww-rd-live.bbcfmt.hs...t_manifest.mpd

Now the question - how can I capture/save this stream to a file using VLC? Anyone know?
    Bit-perfect Streaming: Raspberry Pi 2 & HiFiBerry Digi+ & MoodeAudio; DAC: Beresford Caiman SEG; Power Amp: Naim NAP 100; Speakers: PMC TB2i
    Recording: Mics: 2 X DPA 2011C, 2 X Line Audio OM1, 2 X Line Audio CM3, 2 X Calrec CM652D, iSK SM168, 2 X Behringer C4; Recorder: Zoom F8; Zoom H4N; Interfaces/Mixers: Sound Devices USBPre-2, Behringer Xenyx 802, Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by robtweed View Post

Now the question - how can I capture/save this stream to a file using VLC? Anyone know?
    Figured it out:

./VLC -I rc https://vs-dash-ww-rd-live.bbcfmt.hs...t_manifest.mpd --sout="#transcode{vcodec=none,acodec=flac}:std{acce ss=file,mux=raw,dst='testr3.flac'}"

Note quite sure why there's a space showing above in access=file - I can't seem to remove it from the posted string, sorry!

Anyway, the above saves the stream to the file testr3.flac which can then be played back by anything capable of handling FLAC files!
    Bit-perfect Streaming: Raspberry Pi 2 & HiFiBerry Digi+ & MoodeAudio; DAC: Beresford Caiman SEG; Power Amp: Naim NAP 100; Speakers: PMC TB2i
    Recording: Mics: 2 X DPA 2011C, 2 X Line Audio OM1, 2 X Line Audio CM3, 2 X Calrec CM652D, iSK SM168, 2 X Behringer C4; Recorder: Zoom F8; Zoom H4N; Interfaces/Mixers: Sound Devices USBPre-2, Behringer Xenyx 802, Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

I'm Adam.

..been enjoying this FLAC stream this week.

Since I was able to link the FLAC output to the SqueezeLite player of my Raspberry Pi and then through it's Wolfson Audio Card SPDIF output to my Caiman SEG DAC the difference is clear. I could switch between the previous AAC Dash feed of Radio 3 and the new FLAC feed to compare. The FLAC sounds so much better it is unreal in my system !!!! Have signed the BBC petition for FLAC and the sooner it is a reality the better.
    Adam.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by robtweed View Post
    Figured it out:

./VLC -I rc https://vs-dash-ww-rd-live.bbcfmt.hs...t_manifest.mpd --sout="#transcode{vcodec=none,acodec=flac}:std{acce ss=file,mux=raw,dst='testr3.flac'}"

Note quite sure why there's a space showing above in access=file - I can't seem to remove it from the posted string, sorry!

Anyway, the above saves the stream to the file testr3.flac which can then be played back by anything capable of handling FLAC files!
    Hi Rob, thanks for this effort.

Can you let me know (for a real computer thicky) what I actually need to type as the URL?
    There seems to be some type, then a link and then some further type.
    I use JRiver and that has an ''Open URL'' tab which I use for my Internet listening and am hoping your endeavours will let me type a URL into it.

Cheers,

James.

P.S. I found this the other day and thought it may be of use.....
    http://steveseear.org/high-quality-bbc-radio-streams/
    Type the URL's into JRiver and a decent stream can be listened to. Not FLAC though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast