+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SL1210 - SDS, Technics, Herbies's way or a combination?

I'm Alex.

Default SL1210 - SDS, Technics, Herbies's way or a combination?

Hi,

First post in the Techiepedia for a long time.

I've just picked up an SDS Isoplatmat and Isocover soft TT mat (thanks to Mikeyb). I also have to hand a 3mm Funk acromat and a Herbie's way excellent foam mat, along with original technics rubber mat.

I am currently using the Acromat and Herbie's way mat as I need the height for the right VTA. Has anyone experimented with combinations of these mats?. I assume that the Techie platter will benefit from some damping, so some possible combos might be:

Platter -> Technics rubber mat-> SDS Isoplatmat

Platter -> Technics rubber mat -> SDS Isoplatmat -> SDS Isocover

Platter -> SDS Isoplatmat -> SDS Cover

... or any one of many combinations. I'd be interested to hear what other people are using and in which combinations? I can (and will) work through the permutations but would rather cut down on the to try list by discounting options that definitely don't work very well.

What do you all think?

Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Alex.

combo 1 - technics rubber mat, SDS Isoplatmat, SDS Isocover on trial now. I have adjusted the arm to be parallel to the record surface as before. It does sound nice and clean. Surface noice seems lower than I remember and there is a bit less of a 'honk' or 'pinched' quality to the mid range. Dynamics seem a bit better too. I like it!. The foam mat is quite small, so there is nearly a CM of the record unsupported, which seems odd.

Next combo will be Herbie's excellent mat on the platter, then the SDS Isoplat then the SDS Isocover. I hope that works well because the spindle will then be long enough for me to try with/without a record clamp.

A promising start...

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Lynton.

I've tried most of these options and have settled simply on the SDS Isoplatmat on the standard platter with a Herbies 3.7 on top. Total thickness is fine and very happy with this combo that I've now left alone for some years. The only additional thing that may contribute is that I'd previously damped the platter magnet attachment with Blu Tac as described in this forum few years back which I found really worthwhile. I still have a cork mat, home made 3mm dense foam mat, an Isocover equivalent and the thick original rubber mat sitting in a drawer that were all part of my original playing around.

Perhaps I should comment that while experimenting, there was very little difference to my ears with some of the mats alone or in combo but the best sound usually involved the Herbies and Isoplatmat in some way that improved on the original rubber mat. I've also read glowing reports on a few other mats on this forum but have simply not had the time, money or really the desire to try them. They may well be better options out there but I'm happy. Love to hear what you find.
    Lyn

I'm Michael.

Before getting a Mike New copper-ally platter I used a SDS-Herbie's combo which worked very well.
    IMHO the SDS should go directly onto the metal platter which it damps extremely effectively. On top of the SDS you can experiment with various mats till you find one which lifts the record surface to a. convenient height and provides a good Interface between vinyl and platter.
    Also the weight of platter plus various mats should match the weight of platter plus technics mat to not disturb the speed regulation too much

I'm Alex.

Thank You both for your suggestions. I must admit that I hadn't considered using the sds isoplatmat directly on top of the alloy platter - I had assumed that it wouldn't damp it effectively without some sort of conforming layer between them to bond them together. I've liked the Herbie's way mat as a top may, so I'll compare that to the thin foam sds mat and see what sounds good. I'll let you know how I get on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexM View Post
    Thank You both for your suggestions. I must admit that I hadn't considered using the sds isoplatmat directly on top of the alloy platter - I had assumed that it wouldn't damp it effectively without some sort of conforming layer between them to bond them together. I've liked the Herbie's way mat as a top may, so I'll compare that to the thin foam sds mat and see what sounds good. I'll let you know how I get on.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    That's why the sds platter is 285mm, it's designed to fit inside the technics platter when the rubber mat is removed. I used it this way with the neoprene mat on top of that.

I'm Spartacus.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    That's why the sds platter is 285mm, it's designed to fit inside the technics platter when the rubber mat is removed. I used it this way with the neoprene mat on top of that.
    That's interesting. Kevin from Kabusa once told me the Technics rubber mat is designed to sit on the lip/outside rim where the platter is most resonant.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Alex.

I read that too some time ago - i guess the main damping for the platter is the rubber coating bonded to the underside of the platter. I'm not sure how much additional damping is possible by placing a rubber mat on the raised edge of the platter.

I'm Spartacus.

Tap the edge of the platter with and without the rubber mat or any other mat. It will be obvious!
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Ian.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...rm-experiences
    Post 36
    I had quite some time getting my SDS matt to perform the way my ears liked.
    Final solution was to buy some STOPP carpet slip matt from IKEA, only a few £'s.( a 3mm sq silicon plastic net 1mm thick) I use this as a matt between the Techie platter and the SDS and on the SDS top to mate with the disc.
    On my Copper "SDS" I use it again between the Techie platter and the copper with a rubber matt on top of the copper.
    Much trial and error needed but at the price of STOPP it was a no brainer for me.
    Technics 1200 tweaked,Ianmac Bearing,DACT DIY Phono Pre, Belcanto CD-2, Engineered Switzerland DIY Renderer, Benchmark DAC2, Hypex NCore, ATC SCM40
    2nd system --Engineered Switzerland DIY streamer, Sony CDP11,Topping D50 DAC, Hypex NCore. Kef 1point2 speakers. Ianmac Filters

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast