+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Clash of the titans, Alphason hr100 mcs vs Mission 774.

I'm Jez.

774 for me all day long
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Bigman80 Guest

Well, im going to be a bit controversial here.....

I dont feel this has been the "best case comparison" I was hoping for.

I dont blame Jamie, he quite clearly loves the Alphason, as he should but that Mission needed rewiring before a comparison took place. Cartridge compatibility could've also played a part here too but im not so sure.

I love the Look of the Alphason and was keeping a very keen eye on what was happening! here. I do own a mission and my experience of the Mission is nothing like Jamies.

The Alphason is on my ebay search list and has been for some time. Hopefully ill get one and see what magic it can offer.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

The Mission is simply my favourite arm. I've heard some of the best sounds ever from vinyl from one in the past. Personally I would never re-wire any arm though.

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

For me, the thing about the 774 is the versatility. I can use any cartridges I choose with it and have excellent sound. Ultra high compliance ADC's to low compliance Deccas and MC's.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Well, im going to be a bit controversial here.....

I dont feel this has been the "best case comparison" I was hoping for.

I dont blame Jamie, he quite clearly loves the Alphason, as he should but that Mission needed rewiring before a comparison took place. Cartridge compatibility could've also played a part here too but im not so sure.

I love the Look of the Alphason and was keeping a very keen eye on what was happening! here. I do own a mission and my experience of the Mission is nothing like Jamies.
    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    yes sorry oliver i agree it wasn't a good write up was it,i just got to a point with both arms and thought,sod it ones so much better than the other whats the point??
    dont get me wrong the mission didnt sound crap after all i wouldn't have bought 2 others in the past,just a bit flat,i also get where your coming from when you described it as 'dark sounding'.
    ive checked the bearings and they have no play.

i wanted the mission to be equally as good but it just wasn't on my tt and cartridge,on paper and barry if your reading this please confirm the 2m black suits the mission better,only just though.
    who knows i may still re-wire just for fun and do a re check.

oliver if your ever near brighton give me a call,you are welcome to hear it anytime mate.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Personally I would never re-wire any arm though.
    why is that jez?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Grant.

Like many arms, it was wired to a price. Most can be bettered and after years of service it makes sense to me if youve any doubts. My arm is getting on a bit and i guess if i had money i might. But it still sounds ok to me so stuff it. Leave that to the youngsters.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    why is that jez?
    As is commonly known to anyone who hasn't spent the last ten years in Outer Mongolia I'm 100% against the very concept of wiring having any effect whatsoever. Whether it's mains cables, speaker cables, arm wiring etc etc. End of subject.

I'm jamie.

ah cool so we can rule out the difference being in wire on both arms then.
    sweet as.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    ah cool so we can rule out the difference being in wire on both arms then.
    sweet as.
    Yep.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast