+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Clash of the titans, Alphason hr100 mcs vs Mission 774.

I'm Geoff.

Mk.V Deccas look pretty cool on the 774 too. And work brilliantly well.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    i dont have any others to try

does any cartridge look comfortable on that tiny little block? lol
    up early tomorrow to fit the alphason back on
    You are the exact opposite of me in that you trade on most of the gear that passes through your hands. I have retained all mine with the exception of an Ittok which I traded in for an Ekos. Still have plenty of MMs that I swap around my decks.

Bit surprised you haven't retained at least one cartridge as an emergency back up.

I'm jamie.

for me,normally i buy a cartridge to better the one i have,if it does then i dont see the point in keeping the old one,i like to sell on for more funds in the upgrade kitty
    i take your point though,it would be wise to have a spare.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Clive.

for me,normally i buy a cartridge to better the one i have,if it does then i dont see the point in keeping the old one,i like to sell on for more funds in the upgrade kitty
    i take your point though,it would be wise to have a spare.
    The issue I now have with retaining gear is space rather than funding. I like having plenty of turntables to use as a hobby so upgrading for sound is no longer my main objective.

My own experience with cartridges makes me a bit wary of comparisons because they can be quite deck/tonearm dependent. I had an Ortofon MC10 Supreme on my LP12/Ekos. It was ok but I was not totally happy with it. In 2014 I got the deck serviced and decided to try another cartridge. Was not sure I wanted to spend huge based on my prior experience so got an AT-F7 and was delighted with the sound and still remain pleased with it.

The Ortofon was spare and the dealer said it still was useable so it ended up on my Heybrook TT2. The Heybrook had an arm board issue which I now know was limiting its performance. Following your posts here and at Audiokarma I fabricated a replacement arm board. I then acquired a Zeta tonearm originally targeted for my Systemdek Transcription but eventually switched it to the TT2. I now find that combo is working better for me sound wise than the LP12 so a cartridge that was ok but not great on one deck is much improved on another deck.

I'm jamie.

another day and a fresh mind!
    some more tweaking today and some re-dressing of the arm wand wire has improved the sound alot,its got some of that airiness back got to make up my mind what type and where to get some new wire .
    for the time being.the Alphason is going back on!

Last edited by karma67; 17-04-2017 at 08:23.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

Back on with the Alphason HR-100.....ah bliss.

Im happy again,there's just no contest,yes i could re-wire the 774 and that might bring it up to the same playing field but then whats the point? Im already there with the Alphason,it was an itch i wanted to scratch.
    With me looks come into it as well,the 2m black just doesn't look right to me sat under the block,again it looks so much better on the HR-100.

I think we all know the 774 is a good arm,this is my 3rd!,perhaps its a synergy thing? compliance? or just that the Alphason is better? who knows? ive tried it and on my tt with my cartridge and its not a good match.
    If anyone wants a good condition 774 with a spare wand then please pm me,i only want what ive paid for it or swap?

some photos to compare

Last edited by karma67; 17-04-2017 at 13:03.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Vesa.

Mission arm looks bit of home made compared to alphason.
    Music is not made for listening HiFi...

I'm Adam.

I'm pretty sure the answer you are seeking is already contained in your text somewhere. Let me see if I can find it...

....just that the Alphason is better...
    There we are - found it!

I like the 774; it's a nice thing. But it's a fair way behind a properly sorted HR-100S.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I like the 774; it's a nice thing. But it's a fair way behind a properly sorted HR-100S.
    lol ive just spent the last 3 days finding that out
    but i didn't expect the difference to be that much to be honest,i dont remember the last 2 sounding that flat for want of a better word but then i didnt have the hr-100 then,i only had my ittok for comparison.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    lol ive just spent the last 3 days finding that out
    but i didn't expect the difference to be that much to be honest,i dont remember the last 2 sounding that flat for want of a better word but then i didnt have the hr-100 then,i only had my ittok for comparison.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast