+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chromecast Audio all you needs

I'm Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I use a battery with one of mine. Think its better, but guess its subjective. Not night n day
    Battery (DC) should certainly be better than a stock switched PSU, and possibly better than a linear PSU. Several safes have put the extraordinary sound of the Chord Hugo DAC down to its having been designed as a portable device and therefore battery powered.

I'm Grant.

Its not my best battery tbh, and need to try it on another to see if i get even more improvement. Used to run the rpi off this one and found sq jumped when i put a different one in. I assume its something in the power management
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I wondered how long it would be before some here started to chase the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow: a Chromecast Audio is all you need.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Grant.

Ive got 2. First was a gift, a nice gift .....i use one with headphones, and now a dac, but used to just plug cans in direct. Nice simple thing. Occasionally get dropout of connection, but not sure why yet
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    i use one with headphones
    I have not tried, but clearly the analogue output has enough clout to drive at least some headphones. That could be useful. What are the limits?
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Grant.

Would think similar to a phone but dont know. My phones are 35 ohm, and 100 db sensitivity.. after saying that, the output to my amp is healthy enough so might do a bit better
    Last edited by struth; 09-04-2017 at 14:07.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    That is a problem!

Chromecast support for the VLC player is on the way, but it seems a long time coming. That would allow local files to be cast. There is also a way to make a Chromecast Audio Dongle behave as a Squeezebox, so any files in a Logitech Media Server may be played.

See

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ght=chromecast

Using LMS to stream to it works very well. I sometimes think it sounds better on files than my SBT through the same DAC.... its certainly smaller

I'm Simon.

I bought one out of curiosity in currys as it is only £30. I used it with the optical connector and optical lead into my cyrus streamer which then obviously connects up to my dac xp signature pre amp and dac.

I lost quite big amounts of dynamics, detail etc, which I was expecting. I'm pretty sure this is down to lots of things like power supply, jitter etc, or just giving too much jitter that the cyrus dac xp can handle. But whatever I don't really care, its clear this device has its limitations (as do all hi fi at its price point) and should be used with the right stuff and system and quality matching is I think all important.

I'm Grant.

Strange, i dont get that into my dac/ headamp. Dynamics are quite good with mine. Can be improved with a good battery supply
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    I lost quite big amounts of dynamics
    Did you set the Chromecast for "Full Dynamic Range"? It is not the default.

https://support.google.com/chromecas...90498?hl=en-GB
    Brian

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast