+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromecast Audio all you needs

Quote Originally Posted by Kit1cat View Post
    Dread to think how long it would take me to upload 196 Gb of music files using my slow internet connection, it took long enough to copy the files to a external usb drive.
    That is a problem!

Chromecast support for the VLC player is on the way, but it seems a long time coming. That would allow local files to be cast. There is also a way to make a Chromecast Audio Dongle behave as a Squeezebox, so any files in a Logitech Media Server may be played.

See

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ght=chromecast
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    I agree, Rich. I ripped most of my CDs to flac years ago, but they have been copied to Google Music.

Can I hear the difference between flac and 320k MP3? No.

Can I hear the difference between the analogue output on the Chromecast and the S/PDIF routed through my Beresford Caiman? No.

I can't get fussed. It ain't worth the candle.

(Well Marco, you did ask me to pitch in again!)
    Nice to see you back Brian.
    Regards Neil

I'm Bill.

I've been listening with my Chromecast for the last couple of evenings and I think it has a really natural sound quality that is missing from my Pi/HRT DAC set up.
    Now wondering whether I prefer it.

I'm Mike.

Note that when uploading files via Google Play Music it converts them to 320mbps mp3 for streaming. This isn't a criticism it's just a heads up in case anyone thinks they can upload​ their High Res files ( ok you can, but it converts them down to 320 ) original files untouched of course 😉

[QUOTE=mikeyb;851990]Note that when uploading files via Google Play Music it converts them to 320mbps mp3 for streaming.

It only uploads tracks it does not have on its database. If the MP3 file is already on Google's music server you are just granted access. This speeds up the building of your own MP3 library.

I believe iTunes works the same way.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Mike.

I think you have to watch with iTunes as it can convert your library to 256, thus affecting original files, this was a while ago so updates might have stopped this issue. I avoid iTunes like the plague

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I avoid iTunes like the plague
    Me too!
    Brian

I'm Nigel.

Default Chromecast Audio all you needs

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I think you have to watch with iTunes as it can convert your library to 256, thus affecting original files, this was a while ago so updates might have stopped this issue. I avoid iTunes like the plague
    I've used iTunes for years and never had any such corruption (conversion to 256kbps) of data. iTunes is a great interface. Set default import settings to Lossless (ALAC) and it works faultlessly. Yes, in principle I'd rather use FLAC than its proprietary equivalent but I'm good with where I am. Everyone is free to decide for themselves thankfully, but risk of corruption of existing data=music should not be a consideration as it doesn't happen.

I'm Rob.

Has anyone experimented with the power delivered to a Chromecast to see if that has any audible effect? A Linear Power Supply certainly appears to benefit the RPi and Beresford SEG
    Bit-perfect Streaming: Raspberry Pi 2 & HiFiBerry Digi+ & MoodeAudio; DAC: Beresford Caiman SEG; Power Amp: Naim NAP 100; Speakers: PMC TB2i
    Recording: Mics: 2 X DPA 2011C, 2 X Line Audio OM1, 2 X Line Audio CM3, 2 X Calrec CM652D, iSK SM168, 2 X Behringer C4; Recorder: Zoom F8; Zoom H4N; Interfaces/Mixers: Sound Devices USBPre-2, Behringer Xenyx 802, Monitors: KRK Rokit 6

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by robtweed View Post
    Has anyone experimented with the power delivered to a Chromecast to see if that has any audible effect? A Linear Power Supply certainly appears to benefit the RPi and Beresford SEG
    I use a battery with one of mine. Think its better, but guess its subjective. Not night n day
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast