+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chromecast Audio all you needs

Default Chromecast Audio all you needs

That's right. This little dongle can be had for about 20 if you look around and are patient.

It has an excellent on-board DAC. Plug it into your amp or active speakers - it's the only source you need.

https://www.whathifi.com/google/chromecast-audio/review

http://www.trustedreviews.com/chromecast-audio-review

https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/chr...-audio/review/

Multi-room feature is now working.

Discuss!
    Brian

In Southampton: Quad 77 Int Amp AVI Neutron 4
    In Nicosia: Quad 520f refreshed by Dada - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.
    In both: Squeezebox Classic, Beresford Caiman-Gator DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Headphones

I'm Phil.

I think they are great, but mine was much improved when using the optical out into my DAC.

I'm Grant.

Mine too although the dac in it is not bad
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

I'm Rich.

Try telling that to RPi brigade...

They won't bloody have it, got to be the hard way see.
    NEBO 8 - Sat 6th May 2017, St George Hotel, Durham Tees Valley Airport. 10am til late.

See here for details: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...Airport/page20

I'm Barry.

Great for streaming from spotify and the likes, but you can't plug in a usb drive with local files, the Raspberry pi covers both. I can plug in a usb drive to play local files or use airplay to stream spotify etc.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Try telling that to RPi brigade...

They won't bloody have it, got to be the hard way see.
    Ive got and use both. chromecast for spotify and rpi for files. Ive not tried it with airplay. dont want to complicate my already burdoned and severely challenged brain
    Regards,
    Grant ....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit1cat View Post
    Great for streaming from spotify and the likes, but you can't plug in a usb drive with local files, the Raspberry pi covers both. I can plug in a usb drive to play local files or use airplay to stream spotify etc.
    Its fun to experiment in this hobby but other than to satisfy my own curiosity, all my RPi dabblings were a complete waste of time.
    NEBO 8 - Sat 6th May 2017, St George Hotel, Durham Tees Valley Airport. 10am til late.

See here for details: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...Airport/page20

I agree, Rich. I ripped most of my CDs to flac years ago, but they have been copied to Google Music.

Can I hear the difference between flac and 320k MP3? No.

Can I hear the difference between the analogue output on the Chromecast and the S/PDIF routed through my Beresford Caiman? No.

I can't get fussed. It ain't worth the candle.

(Well Marco, you did ask me to pitch in again!)
    Brian

In Southampton: Quad 77 Int Amp AVI Neutron 4
    In Nicosia: Quad 520f refreshed by Dada - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.
    In both: Squeezebox Classic, Beresford Caiman-Gator DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Headphones

I'm Phil.

I've done the same with Google Play. It gives free storage and playback for more songs than I am ever likely to need at high enough quality for my ears. I have just picked up a raspberry pi and IQ DAC but much like Rich it is more out of curiosity and for something to experiment with than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
    I agree, Rich. I ripped most of my CDs to flac years ago, but they have been copied to Google Music.

Can I hear the difference between flac and 320k MP3? No.

Can I hear the difference between the analogue output on the Chromecast and the S/PDIF routed through my Beresford Caiman? No.

I can't get fussed. It ain't worth the candle.

(Well Marco, you did ask me to pitch in again!)

I'm Barry.

Dread to think how long it would take me to upload 196 Gb of music files using my slow internet connection, it took long enough to copy the files to a external usb drive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast