+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will I Ever purchase Vinyl / CD again... perhaps YES

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    True enough. It isn't that that puts me off it so much as the faffing around with a computer when all I want to do is put some music on. I just prefer to go to a shelf of CDs (or more normally a big pile on the floor) and rake through it until I find what I want or see something that grabs me. Stick it in and press play. That to me is no different to searching/browsing on a computer screen. Okay so it does mean no more shelves of CDs and records cluttering up the room, but then I like shelves full of CDs and records.

As for catalogue size I already own 90% of the records I want and I'm not so poor as I can't afford to buy the rest. That way regardless of what happens in the music industry I will always have my albums in my personal possession and I can always listen to them anytime I want.
    + 1
    Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

True enough. It isn't that that puts me off it so much as the faffing around with a computer when all I want to do is put some music on. I just prefer to go to a shelf of CDs (or more normally a big pile on the floor) and rake through it until I find what I want or see something that grabs me. Stick it in and press play. That to me is no different to searching/browsing on a computer screen. Okay so it does mean no more shelves of CDs and records cluttering up the room, but then I like shelves full of CDs and records.

As for catalogue size I already own 90% of the records I want and I'm not so poor as I can't afford to buy the rest. That way regardless of what happens in the music industry I will always have my albums in my personal possession and I can always listen to them anytime I want.
    Dont need a pc just a phone
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Josie.

I like digital and do digital and could do more digital but it's boring in respect of having something physical... with no physical artwork or that beautiful needle drop moment it's pretty vague.

Physical media has a place in life. Makes you realise that you have something real rather than the feeling like you just have something.

40,000,000 albums is bonkers... lol - all cool if that's what you like but IMO I just wouldn't know where to start in all honesty and I think (in the end) I'd just switch it off and put a record on. Too much choice, too complicated unless it's on shuffle for background music.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 06-04-2017 at 16:17.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Gary.

It isn't that that puts me off it so much as the faffing around with a computer when all I want to do is put some music on. I just prefer to go to a shelf of CDs (or more normally a big pile on the floor) and rake through it until I find what I want or see something that grabs me. Stick it in and press play. That to me is no different to searching/browsing on a computer screen. Okay so it does mean no more shelves of CDs and records cluttering up the room, but then I like shelves full of CDs and records.

I completely share this view!
    IB

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    I like digital and do digital and could do more digital but it's boring in respect of having something physical... with no physical artwork or that beautiful needle drop moment it's pretty vague.

Physical media has a place in life. Makes you realise that you have something real rather than the feeling like you just have something.

40,000,000 albums is bonkers... lol - all cool if that's what you like but IMO I just wouldn't know where to start in all honesty and I think (in the end) I'd just switch it off and put a record on. Too much choice, too complicated unless it's on shuffle for background music.
    And this one!

I'm Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Dont need a pc just a phone
    Or a nice iPad Mini running iPeng.

Like others, I still prefer the pleasure of real browsing- of shelves of round things stored in square things so they don't roll onto the floor. I'm not really fussed whether they're silver or black round things but like the chance encounter, the corner of the eye "crikey I haven't listened to that for years" discovery which just doesn't happen with streaming - well not for me.

But I'm pleased I have Spotify in my armoury.

I'm Grant.

Sure.. iva ipad, 2 iphones and a android tablet and phone. I use them depending where i am etc. Sometimes if the kitchen pc is on i will stream from it down my extra long usb to the dac head amp too. Its really good spotify lets you do this. Tidal doesnt
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

In case anyone gets the wrong impression (as they often do) I am not knocking streaming services or the people who use them. I hope they survive and start making some money. It just isn't something I need. I can check a band out on You-Tube if I want to. No need to sign up for anything (I hate doing that even if it is a free service).You don't need good sound quality to know if the music is going to do it for you or not.

I treat listening to music as a special event, I like to sit down and do it properly. If I need background noise the tv or the radio will do, I barely notice it anyway if concentrating on something else. Get a beer on the go, no other distractions, proper volume level that does it justice, and get a couple of quality hours in. Then it might be to or three days before I listen to music again. I know I will always feel 'the hunger' again at some point.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123