+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Cornwall, SW UK.

I'm Geoffrey.

Default Hello from Cornwall, SW UK.

Hi,
    I'm Geoff, and this is the story of my life.
    I have always loved music and bought my first records in about 1962, firstly old rock and roll (Jerry Lee, Little Richard, Gene Vincent, etc), then Blues (Lightning Hopkins, Son House Memphis Slim, Muddy etc) which led me to Jazz (ODJB to Ayler) and later, in the early 70s I developed a love of Classical music, especially 20th century and opera.
    The first time I heard the term hi-fi was in about 1971, when I replaced an old Dansette type record changer with a Garrard AP76, Shure M75EJ, Wharfdale amp and Linton speakers. Boy, I can still hear that wonderful sound.
    I lived in London then and in 1974 I moved to Cornwall with a new wife and a new system – Pioneer PL12D (£45); Armstrong 621 (£76) and Kef R104ABs (£133). It was the thing in those days to pack the PL12D with plasticene to deaden resonances, and replace the Pioneer headshell with an AKG (magnesium alloy, I think) so that you could fit a Shure V15/3. I still have the old headshell, I don’t know why.
    This system stayed with me until 1985 when I bought a Thorens TD321 with a Rega RB300; Ortofon MC10; Audiolab 3000A, Akai tuner and Spendor SP1s, and, later that year added my first CD player a Marantz CD65SE.
    In 2008 I moved to a small house and was forced to downsize. The Spendors went off to Italy via eBay and were replaced with ATC SCM11s. And the Ortofon MC became a Rondo Red.
    Then I bought a Roksan Kandy 2 to replace the Audiolab which I thought was getting old. But the Roksan needed an MC phono so I bought a Cambridge Audio RP640. Then the Marantz died and I bought a CA 640CD. But last October that started playing up and I bought a mint Marantz 6004 on eBay which pretty much perfected my CD listening. What an improvement.
    And then, for a while, there was peace all around.
    But, few weeks ago I was struck down with upgraditis, and, looking at my old Rega RB300, I thought, you need a re-wire and sent it off to Audio Origami. That was a very nice experience, and since it returned I haven’t listened to anything else except LPs (I refuse to use the word vynil let alone vynils). Everything sounded wonderful again.
    But I still had upgraditis raging, and my eyes fell upon the phono stage. So I began to Google. And that led me to Jez Arkless. And that led me here.
    Hi.

I'm Grant.

Excellent opening post Geoff. We had similar tastes in musac back then. Big blues fan still.
    Hope you enjoy the forum and prosper
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Hello Geoff. Welcome to AOS.

Nice place Cornwall. I'm often there. Which bit are you in?

Sounds like you've been messing around with Hi-Fi as long as me. If you have any further plans for your system, apart from the phono stage, we'd like to hear about them.

There's lots going on here, so take a look around and join in the chat. The members are friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoffrey.

Hi Grant, Thank you. I listen to a lot of other things now but will always love the blues. Geoff.

I'm Geoffrey.

Hi Geoff, I live between Liskeard and Launceston, just off Bodmin Moor. Thank you for the welcome. The phono stage is going to happen, but the only other change that is likely to take place is to replace the cartridge at some point in the future due to age. Probably another Ortofon MC. On the level of the Quintet Bronze. Geoff

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Geoffrey,

Excellent introduction and first post! I think we have similar audio experiences and explored similar musical paths.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Rob.

Welcome Geoffrey. I luv Cornwall. When I was small we had our holidays with my aunt, they had a smallholding between Liskeard and Launceston (she always pronounced it Laaarrnsen ) at Downgate (Kelly Bray?) There was a path up to Kit Hill just opposite their shack. Happy Days.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Ian.

Hi Geoff and welcome to the forum, great bunch of friendly people here. Audio Origami recently worked their magic on my SME3009, very good service from start to finish and big improvement to the sound.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm M.

Hi Geoff
    Wecome to AOS

I'm Jez.

Hi Geoff, Welcome. I got your email the other day BTW. Whenever you're ready
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast