+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diminishing of the lower frequencies after washing the LP

I'm Alex.

Default Diminishing of the lower frequencies after washing the LP

A bizarre thing happened to me yesterday: I purchased a used LP by Eberhard Weber ("Little Movements") and after playing it fell in love with the marvellous sound of the record. One of the best sounding ECM issues I've heard so far. But the amazing sound was marred by a lot of pops and clicks etc. The record was obviously very dirty (it didn't even come with the inner sleeve!)

So I went down to my basement to give it a thorough wash and vacuum. Once the record got squeaky clean, went back to my listening room to enjoy it. But much to my shock, I realized that somehow the previously magnificent Weber's bass, that was so muscular and greasy, with unbelievable slam, is now all but gone! (I mean the bass notes are still there, but the tough muscular presentation has been audibly diminished)

How could that be? Is it possible that washing and vacuuming a record could remove some of the amplitude of the lower frequencies? This never happened to me before. Any explanation or similar experiences?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Russell.

Perhaps it only looks clean, but some of the dirt has gotten washed into the very bottom of the groove? Preventing the needle from setting as deeply as before? So, the tops of the grooves look clean and shiny, but sludge has settled in the bottom?

I've got some Super clean, and also some Enzyme Wash, I'd use one or both, and let it set for 5 minutes, just let it spin using the brush to keep it spread out, and wash it a few more times, see if it gets better or worse? At this point you've got nothing to loose. I don't think you can wash grooves off the record?

I'm Grant.

You may have just moved dirt deeper in the groove might need a couple
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    You may have just moved dirt deeper in the groove might need a couple
    I think you're right -- an LP that's been tossed around without the inner sleeve protection probably has more dirt on it than is to be expected. I'll give it another deep bath with massage, exotic rubbing oils and scented candles. What background music do you recommend while I'm treating that record?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    What background music do you recommend while I'm treating that record?
    Madonna - 'Get Into The Groove'.

I'm Martin.

Patsy Cline 'Crazy'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Joe Dolce
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

Maybe there's a lot more mid and high frequency info coming through now which makes the presentation sound lighter in the bass.

I know turning down the treble energy and using the roll off control in my speakers makes the whole thing sound bassier (is that a word?) even though the amount of bass hasn't been altered and vice versa.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    I think you're right -- an LP that's been tossed around without the inner sleeve protection probably has more dirt on it than is to be expected. I'll give it another deep bath with massage, exotic rubbing oils and scented candles. What background music do you recommend while I'm treating that record?
    Status Quo "Down, down, deeper and down"

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Status Quo "Down, down, deeper and down"
    That's what she said.

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast