+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sibilance issues on the ELP record

I'm Alex.

Default Sibilance issues on the ELP record

One of the reasons I love my Denon DL-103 on Rega RB300 tonearm is that is sails through tough sibilances with flying colours. However, there is one LP (Emerson Lake & Palmer first album) where Greg Lake's pronunciations of 's' sounds terrible. It sounds as if the entire record is somehow faulty. Everything else on that LP sounds gorgeous, until Greg pronounces an 's'.

What could be causing this anomaly? On all the other records I listen to (including all the other ELP records), I'm not hearing any sibilance issue, only on this LP.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Geoff.

Surely this would suggest that the issue is with the record, rather than the cartridge?

The DL-103 is not the greatest at resolving fine upper detail, simply because the conical stylus is somewhat limiting, but I've never heard one sounding sibilant. More the opposite I'd say.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Surely this would suggest that the issue is with the record, rather than the cartridge?

The DL-103 is not the greatest at resolving fine upper detail, simply because the conical stylus is somewhat limiting, but I've never heard one sounding sibilant. More the opposite I'd say.
    Exactly, a slight rolloff in the highs never seems to cause any problems with DL-103 tracking. I'll seek a different copy of that LP to see if I can get the sibilance sorted out.
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Exactly, a slight rolloff in the highs never seems to cause any problems with DL-103 tracking. I'll seek a different copy of that LP to see if I can get the sibilance sorted out.
    Had it been Brain Salad Surgery I could have understood this. The problem here sounds like a good old fashioned worn out record.

I'm Neil.

There are also those who feel the Rega isn't the best choice for a Denon.
    Regards Neil

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    There are also those who feel the Rega isn't the best choice for a Denon.
    Everyone agrees on that. But I'm not noticing any issues with that configuration, save for this LP. Which means the LP is worn.

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread