+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cataloging Vinyl Question

I'm Paul.

Default Cataloging Vinyl Question

Hi all

Not sure if this is the correct section for this question, perhaps a mod would move it if not

Anyway a quick cataloging question

Now that my vinyl collection is getting large enough to need cataloging to stop me buying duplicates etc I get them all out and started recording them, I was going with a simple A to Z by artist name but then something got me stuck.

Bad company is obviously a B, Dire Straits is obviously a D but what about The Beatles? would that be a T or B what about Artists using the own name, Peter Frampton I assume would go under F for Frampton.

Is there a recognised system that you all use

Thanks for any help with this

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

I'm Grant.

Up to you really. If you sign up to discogs, you can catalogue them properly there. Makes a nice job and will even give u values etc. You can print a version of it too.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    You can print a version of it too.
    or you can install a discogs app on your phone for crate browsing, it displays your entire collection

discogs is really nice
    TT: none atm; Carts: Benz Micro Ace SL; Phono stage: Nuda dual mono
    Digital: Rotel RCD-965BX, rDAC; Amp: Modwright KWI-200, Speakers: Dynaudio Special 25

I'm Mike.

I use the Discogs app too, takes a bit of time to find the correct version of the LP sometimes but it's well worth it. It's good at giving a right value too and might save you selling off that gem 😉

Newer LPs with barcodes can be scanned using the built in scanner on the app, narrows the versions quickly and efficiently.

I'm Bob.

Beatles, The
    Rolling Stones, The

Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Kevin.

+1 for Discogs
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    Hi all

Not sure if this is the correct section for this question, perhaps a mod would move it if not

Anyway a quick cataloging question

Now that my vinyl collection is getting large enough to need cataloging to stop me buying duplicates etc I get them all out and started recording them, I was going with a simple A to Z by artist name but then something got me stuck.

Bad company is obviously a B, Dire Straits is obviously a D but what about The Beatles? would that be a T or B what about Artists using the own name, Peter Frampton I assume would go under F for Frampton.

Is there a recognised system that you all use

Thanks for any help with this

Paul
    The word "The" is normally removed from cataloging systems to just start with the band name. The most common system - (iTunes) puts The Corrs under C, The Beatles under B, the Rolling Stones under R, etc.

iTunes also use the first name of the artist as the key so Allison Kraus is filed under A, etc

The most problematic discs are Classical where you need to be careful with what are in effect "collections" of Composers, with a single conductor but multi orchestras (and various combinations of the same). I tend to go with Composer then Disc Name (making my own up if not obvious) and make sure they are all identified as single entities rather than collections.

The iTunes approach works well for me

Finally, if you are digitising vinyl then Vinyl Studio is good for downloading tag data and splitting tracks, using track time as its splitting method, without you have to key lots of data.

Mel

I'm Clive.

I don't think it really matters, just use the filing system you prefer.

I used (and still do) file my physical media under first name and band name excluding The. My NAS however use's T 1st, hence The Beatles, The Rolling Stones etc.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Paul.

From a record store perspective these are the rules :

- Ignore "The" and in most case "A" (eg A Tribe Called Quest were always under T but A Certain Ratio under A, maybe because people called them ACR ?)
    - Always use surnames for solo artists (eg Kate Bush under B) unless it's a group where surnames are used, in which case use the first one (Emerson, Lake & Palmer under E)
    - Numbers and abbreviations always follow logic (eg B-52s under B and after The Beatles as it's "spelled" B-F-I-F .. 10,000 Maniacs under T for T-E-N)

The big question is whether you want to categorise by genre as well .. then you're in a whole new world of pain

Personally, all my vinyl is just A-Z using the method above, apart from 12" singles which are filed the same way but separately after the LPs and classical, again, after the twelves and by composer surname.
    CDs are genre first and then by the above method, so Rock n Pop, Country, Jazz and Blues, Electronica, then Soul/Funk/HipHop, World, Reggae, Classical, OSTs and Spoken Word/Comedy
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm openingabottleofwine.

For me B-52 comes before Beatles, just as U2 comes before Undertones.

But like you everything else is filed by surname (except Blues artists such as Blind Willie McTell, who is filed after Blind Lemon Jefferson under B, and Howling Wolf who is filed under H) for solo artists and for groups the definite article is omitted.

I do roughly segregate music into genre: Classical, Jazz, Blues, Soul (Mowtown and Atlantic artists), Folk, World music. Everything else is lumped into Pop and Rock. There are problems with artists such as John Martin, who's early work was firmly in the Folk genre, but then moved into a sort of pop-jazz fusion.

As has been mentioned, Classical can be a bit of a problem when a disc has performances of works by more than one composer, or even one conductor conducting different orchestras. In those instances, it is filed under the composer who's work was the prime reason why I bought the disc. Thereafter they are filed by composer's name, with individual works filed in alphabetical order: adagios, concertos, overtures, requia, sonatas, suites, symphonies, etc. Where I have different recordings of a particular piece, they are filed in order of conductor's surname.

Finally collections are filed at the end of everything else, again in some sort of alphabetical order.

So individual, slightly quirky, and not strictly rigorous - but it works for me.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast