+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jordan Eikona 2 Driver

I'm Ian.

Roger, they look great. I've just stripped the paint of my VTL's back to birch ply and plugged them back into the system. They sound great! Danilo, you should have ignored the naysayers. Balance is good, maybe a tiny touch treble shy but that suits me as I find tweeter fitted speakers just a bit too bright on some material. Bass is surprisingly deep and weighty and I just love the immediacy of the single driver setup. I'm currently driving mine with a World Designs KEL84 - a mere 15 watts but they go plenty loud despite their apparent lack of efficiency. The sweetness of EL84 tubes suits them very well. Still thinking about upgrading to the Eikonas though, perhaps Roger can give us his listening impressions.

Last edited by ianlenco; 29-04-2017 at 17:47.

I'm malcolm.

Nice job you did on the stripping Ian, they look great.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm ROGER.

Thanks Ian, I'm pretty pleased with the way they turned out, just have to make the grille surrounds and cover them & they're done
    The first impressions were fairly promising, articulate with lots of detail but with a slightly harsh treble when pushed, but as the drivers only had 30 hours on them I gave them a long weekend non stop with various amps.
    So today I plugged them in to my newly acquired Graaf power amp for a good listening session and Wow these are good... the great thing about wide bandwidth single driver speakers (yeh I know there are two in each cab but as they're wired in parallel with no crossovers so it doesn't count !) is their speed, more natural sounding & more articulate in the bass. The harshness in the treble has now receded and as there are two drivers there is plenty of bass, I've not heard the jx92 driver so can't compare the two, but the Eikona2 is superb!

I'm Ian.

I received my Eikonas today and fitted them into the VTL cabs after the rebate had been enlarged for the new driver. Only played them for an hour but initial impressions are good. Bass goes deeper and they are very smooth at the top. Actually I'm finding them too smooth at the moment, the JX92's have more life but of course they can shout a bit on some material. Early days but I think I'm going to enjoy them.

Interesting that the old driver (left) appears to have a bigger magnet than the new Eikona.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    Has anyone any experience of building a speaker around this driver? Wilmslow Audio offer a kit for a floorstander built with this driver, the VTL. I wondered about the results? Looking at the frequency charts it gets a little up and down and I wondered how this would impact on listening? The kit itself looks easy enough to make. Has anyone built this speaker?
    Going back to Michael's original question - yep they do work well but have you seen BK Electronics kit? Cheaper and more or less built.

http://www.bkelec.com/Jordan/Eikona_VTL.htm

danilo Guest

The cone is also substantially smaller on the 'new and Improved' version.
    Frugality in MFg .. at it's finest .

I'm steve.

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this is my first post or not, if it isn't then the last one must be a while ago, apologies.
    Came across this thread with interest as I started using a pair of Jordan Eikona 2 VTLS a few months ago, got mine from BK Electronics fully built up in bare mdf and I finished them off myself in gloss white, I diverged slightly from what you've seen of this model by swapping the rectangular foot of the speakers for a larger circular foot which I find much better from a stability point of view. I've been highly delighted with the sound quality of the VTLs particularly in the last couple up of days since buying a Cambridge CXA60 amp to drive them. They are one of the most well sorted and best sounding DIY design around imo. I keep in touch with Jordan via Facebook where a lot of the Eikona 2 designs are posted but I have never seen the intriguing twin driver ported reflex shown in this thread, could the owner give some background on the design.
    Steve

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    The cone is also substantially smaller on the 'new and Improved' version.
    Frugality in MFg .. at it's finest .
    The truth of the matter is that the Eikona 2 is more than twice as costly to produce as the JX92, I mentioned the comment to Colin at Jordan designs who is in the process of registering on the forum, once he's able to post he will be able to elaborate on that in person

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Deleted.

I would strongly recommend you look at the Mark Audio drivers before committing yourself.
    Account Deleted

danilo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    The truth of the matter is that the Eikona 2 is more than twice as costly to produce as the JX92, I mentioned the comment to Colin at Jordan designs who is in the process of registering on the forum, once he's able to post he will be able to elaborate on that in person
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Might also mean that the manufacturing enterprise decided to charge More for this run.
    Actually that's a fairly plausible scenario.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast