+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jordan Eikona 2 Driver

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    I received my Eikonas today and fitted them into the VTL cabs after the rebate had been enlarged for the new driver. Only played them for an hour but initial impressions are good. Bass goes deeper and they are very smooth at the top. Actually I'm finding them too smooth at the moment, the JX92's have more life but of course they can shout a bit on some material. Early days but I think I'm going to enjoy them.

Interesting that the old driver (left) appears to have a bigger magnet than the new Eikona.

In reply to your comment about the smoother top on the Eikonas, from my own experience it depends a lot on what you are driving them with. When I first got my VTLs I was driving them with a Yamaha AS501 amp which although it gave a pretty decent overall sound I did feel it a little lacking at the top end, hence my recent acquisition of a Cambridge CXA60, this has proved to be a noticeable improvement (and so it should be, being almost 3 times the price) particularly giving back the treble level that seemed lacking with the Yamaha as well as giving an across the board improvement in detail and better bass grip. The Eikonas deserve the best amplification to really show the breadth of their abilities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm steve.

Here's my system with the modified bases.
    Jordan Eikona VTLs + Cambridge CXA60 by Stephen Zarczynski, on Flickr

I'm Colin.

Hi to those here and thanks for the interest in Ted Jordan's Eikona 2 drive unit.

To clear up a couple of misunderstandings - the cone in the Eikona is exactly the same Controflex cone Ted used in the JX92, so same size, profile and material. It is manufactured specially for us by the same UK supplier.

The apparent decrease in magnet size is because the JX92 had a second, 'bucking' magnet to cancel out its external magnetic field. The JX92 was produced when CRT screens were commonplace. With the advent of flat screen TVs, there's no need for the cancellation magnet. But it's still worth keeping memory sticks and credit cards well clear of the Eikona :-)

I hope that helps.

Colin
    Colin
    EJ Jordan Designs

I'm Ian.

Hi Colin,
    You are of course right about the apparently larger magnet assembly on the JX92S, apologies for my misinformation. I was using a World Designs KEL84 with my older Jordans and this worked well despite the low 15 watts available. However, I suspected the WD was a little underpowered for the slightly less efficient Eikonas so have recently switched to a Leema Acoustics Pulse and the extra power available (80 watts) has improved things considerably. Yesterday I had a friend round who also has the JX92's at home and he went off muttering about raising the money for a pair of Eikonas - enough said.

I'm malcolm.

Hi Colin,
    You are of course right about the apparently larger magnet assembly on the JX92S, apologies for my misinformation. I was using a World Designs KEL84 with my older Jordans and this worked well despite the low 15 watts available. However, I suspected the WD was a little underpowered for the slightly less efficient Eikonas so have recently switched to a Leema Acoustics Pulse and the extra power available (80 watts) has improved things considerably. Yesterday I had a friend round who also has the JX92's at home and he went off muttering about raising the money for a pair of Eikonas - enough said.
    Hi Ian - I believe our friend has EAD E100 drive units, which I remember sounding different to my JX92 although his drive units were quite new when I heard them.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Ian.

Yes Malcolm, that is quite true - never heard them so assumed they sounded similar. I've just put the drivers in properly so the logos are upright and also checked on the wiring of one which I think was vibrating on the driver frame when playing deep notes. Looking for something with that goes low I came across a track called Heart by Bo Stief Dream Machine on a Chesky demo disc. Never played it before and wow does it go deep! The Jordans played it with no trouble. I knew the Jordans in VTLs were capable of going low but this really surprised me - this was seriously low and powerful.

I'm Mike.

Hi Colin, Yesterday I had a friend round who also has the JX92's at home and he went off muttering about raising the money for a pair of Eikonas - enough said.
    Was I really muttering Ian?

Listening to your Eikonas has galvenised me into putting the Jimi Chang speakers back into my system and I'm wondering why I ever took them out?

Malcolm, you are correct I'm using EAD's take on the JX92, the E100.
    Mike

I'm Ian.

Sorry Mike, artistic licence Glad you've re-installed your Jordan Jimi Changs as a result.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123