+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New tonearm cable and XLR interconnects needed

I'm Juha.

Default New tonearm cable and XLR interconnects needed

Hello all and happy new year 2010 .

I have just upgraded my phono stage to Ayre P-5xe. I think I need to upgrade my tonearm cable, which is at present standard Jelco one to XLR terminated one. Would you advice me to re-terminate the current Jelco tonearm cable with new XLR connectors or buy new ready terminated XLR tonearm cable?

I also found pair of Nordost Blue Heaven XLR interconnects from my draver,but would like to change these if I am to change my tonearm cable.

Any recommendations for good tonearm and interconnector combo?

My kit at present:

Garrarrd 401 turntable with Jelco SA-750bl tonearm and jelco RCA tonearm cable, Koetsu Black MC cartridge

Ayre P-5xe phono stage

Luxman L-505u integrated amplifier

Dali Helicon 800 speakers with Supra Sword speaker cables
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Bastanis Mandala Atlas with 15" sealed woofers
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You need to get out of the audiophool habit you know.. The existing cable you have is better than your turntable, as you may discover if the arm is ever transferred to another, quieter deck - and I'm not criticising the 401, just trying to put it all into perspective..

Nordost cables are un-shielded and, IMO a total disaster for tonearm use. Just my view, but I used Nordosts lower interconnect cables once in the shop and got loads of Taxi interference for my trouble...

If you REALLY want to change from what you have, try the Audio Origami exit cable and have XLR's fitted when you order it. I'm informed it's very good indeed...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Question

I agree with Dave, if they are the JAC-506XLR, nothing short of £1K will better them. Why do you want to change?

Dave

I'm Paul.

My 401 is silent even with the volume turned right up. The only noise I hear on the run ins and run outs is the record surface noise.
    ~Paul~

I'm Mark.

Not sure if people here are overlooking the fact that the Ayre P-5xe phono stage has a balanced input ,
    I think that's why Juha is asking should he replace the tonearm cable, i.e for full balanced operation.

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    You need to get out of the audiophool habit you know.. The existing cable you have is better than your turntable, as you may discover if the arm is ever transferred to another, quieter deck - and I'm not criticising the 401, just trying to put it all into perspective..

Nordost cables are un-shielded and, IMO a total disaster for tonearm use. Just my view, but I used Nordosts lower interconnect cables once in the shop and got loads of Taxi interference for my trouble...

If you REALLY want to change from what you have, try the Audio Origami exit cable and have XLR's fitted when you order it. I'm informed it's very good indeed...
    I really cannot understand where the misinformation and misconseption that the Garrard 401 is not good turntable comes from. I can say that with solid plinth, properly isolated and rightly set up it will beat any modern turntable under £3000 any day. The reason why this limis is that I have not personally tested beound this, so cannot comment further.

I tested my system resently using my trusty test LP record, and for my amusement there were NO NOICE what so ever on unmodulated groove, what ever volume level I used. This has NEVER been the case with my previous turntables. The rumble people are usually referring to, seems to come from bad plinth designs, which mostly have been flimsy and hollow.

I know that dealers need to make their living and try to put old stock turntables down, but there should be some limit
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by markf View Post
    Not sure if people here are overlooking the fact that the Ayre P-5xe phono stage has a balanced input ,
    I think that's why Juha is asking should he replace the tonearm cable, i.e for full balanced operation.
    This is correct. Ayre P-5xe has both XLR and RCA inputs and outputs. Best sound quality will be achieved using balanced connectors and this is the reason why I want to change my Jelco tonearm RCA connectors to XLR or replace the tonearm cable to something with has XLR connectors allready.

I am happy to use my Jelco RCA tonearm cable to start with but will change it in near future to XLR one.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

Question

OK, just buy the Jelco balanced XLR cable? But why didn't you buy it in the first place, confused.... If you bought from me, I'll do a swap.

Dave

MartinT Guest

Juha

Being an Ayre fan myself I would be very interested in your views on the P-5xe once you get it all set up. Keep us posted!

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
    OK, just buy the Jelco balanced XLR cable? But why didn't you buy it in the first place, confused.... If you bought from me, I'll do a swap.

Dave
    Hello Dave.

I did not buy the tonearm or the cable from you.

When I bought the Jelco SA-750bl and the Jelco RCA cable my system was not balanced. I used Luxman's integrated phono stage with RCA inputs. Now I have upgraded my phono stage to Ayre which has both XLR and RCA inputs and outputs. So to get the best, and use the phono stage as it was really designed to work, I just need tonearm cable with balanced connectors.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast