+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SME armboard for a 1210, metal or wooden?

I'm Clive.

Default SME armboard for a 1210, metal or wooden?

I'm thinking of moving my OL Encounter Mk3A on and buying a SME 309 Tonearm.
    a) is that a good idea?
    b) which is better a metal or one of Speedy Steve's wooden armboard's for my 1210M5G?
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    I'm thinking of moving my OL Encounter Mk3A on and buying a SME 309 Tonearm.
    a) is that a good idea?
    b) which is better a metal or one of Speedy Steve's wooden armboard's for my 1210M5G?
    Hi Clive,
    Both good arms from what I know - might it be a sideways move ?

With regard to the armboard, I can only highly recommend Steve's ebony armboard.
    Quality item that not only looks great, also brings a certain rightness to the presentation that is probably more natural over metal / aluminium in my view.

I'm Mel.

Never experienced a 309 but I have an sme 5 and as much as I like it I believe a rega based item has more life in it. As a last arm purchase I have an Audiomods on order. I also a have an early OL arm but have not been too impressed by the engineering quality and so have never considered upgrading along that line.

Arm boards are easy to make and if you already have a techie board then the dimensions can be obtained to make some samples yourself - why not try a simple birch ply board if you fancy a wood option. Because the techi arm is sunk in the deck it's easy to hide any rough edge cutting as only the upper surface needs to look nice.

I'm Mike.

I have one of Steve's Ebony armboards on my 1210, is it better than a metal one? Dunno, I've never tried one, I've thought of changing it to try a metal one but can't be bothered with the hassle of doing it so the Ebony one is staying lol

I'm Andrew.

I had the Mike New solid copper tonearm boards in mine for ages and it sounded excellent but the ebony armboard trumped it. So speak to speedy Steve and go for the ebony armboard. It's not much more expensive than the metal and you'll get more detail in your soundstage.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Robert.

Must be someone here with experience of the SME 309 Tonearm

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Must be someone here with experience of the SME 309 Tonearm
    Live got the SME V sitting on mine with ebony armboard. What Excatly are you trying to find out?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I had the Mike New solid copper tonearm boards in mine for ages and it sounded excellent but the ebony armboard trumped it. So speak to speedy Steve and go for the ebony armboard. It's not much more expensive than the metal and you'll get more detail in your soundstage.
    That good to know from my point of view, thanks.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Live got the SME V sitting on mine with ebony armboard. What Excatly are you trying to find out?
    Not me Andy,
    The op - Clive is considering an SME 309 so would likely appreciate thoughts / experience and so on

I'm Andrew.

Ok will come back to this tonight.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast