+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Laser Pickup available anywhere ?

I'm Ying.

Default Is Laser Pickup available anywhere ?

I inserted a cd into my cd94mkII and somehow it did not close properly.

I was playing on another cdplayer.

When I went back to it an hour later I found the drawer not properly closed so I power-on.

Thereafter I opened the drawer with the cd inside and tried several times to close open and play. But now there is no whirring sound ..

The player could not read although the LED display was on and each time I used the remote it showed remote
    was working as displayed on the signal on the small rectangular box on the LED dislplay.

I like to know where I can buy the Laser Pickup for this cd94mkII. Is it true that the Laser Pick has to be changed as a set whcih I understand is called a Laser Assembly. Like to know what is a Laser Assembly and waht does it include. Does it include the Drawer ?

Any advice appreciate.

Thank you.

I'm Martin.

May not be the laser. A known problem with these players is the belts that operate the mech failing, might be that they need replacing and the whole mech cleaned up.

If it is the laser I don't think it is possible to replace it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    May not be the laser. A known problem with these players is the belts that operate the mech failing, might be that they need replacing and the whole mech cleaned up.

If it is the laser I don't think it is possible to replace it.
    +1
    Regards Neil

I'm Ying.

Early this morning I tried putting in a cd to try if it can play.

Each time I Close the tray it will open and I kept on Closing it each time it opens but it does not read. What I notice is that Opening and Closing is stronger and faster unlike yesterday when both actions were slow and weak.

Even pressing the Play button triggers the tray to close which it was unable to do yesterday!

Eventually the reading came on after many tries and powering off. It played finally when it was able to read.

Thank you everyone for the advice.

When I am free, I shall post some pics of my sets including Marantz NA11s1 and the Marantz SA11s3 and will
    provide some info of my experience. Don't expect heaven and earth difference however !

Cd94mkII is still gorgeous where sound is concerned.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by baguadao View Post

Each time I Close the tray it will open and I kept on Closing it each time it opens but it does not read. What I notice is that Opening and Closing is stronger and faster unlike yesterday when both actions were slow and weak.

Even pressing the Play button triggers the tray to close which it was unable to do yesterday!

Eventually the reading came on after many tries and powering off. It played finally when it was able to read.

When I am free, I shall post some pics of my sets including Marantz NA11s1 and the Marantz SA11s3 and will
    provide some info of my experience. Don't expect heaven and earth difference however !

It is a fabulous player. And there is a store of laser mechanisms for these players and other classics in Germany. At least one eBay seller is selling certified examples. Not cheap, but I still bought two spare for my Cambridge Audio CD3 players.

If you are confident, I might suggest degreasing and re-greasing the rails on the mechanism. These often seize up after some time with liquids in the grease very slow evaporating and the whole substance hardening.

I'm Russell.

I attempted to purchase a new laser for my old Sony ES, and laser heads were going for $800! So it didn't get fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Ying.

Quote Originally Posted by jusbe View Post
    It is a fabulous player. And there is a store of laser mechanisms for these players and other classics in Germany. At least one eBay seller is selling certified examples. Not cheap, but I still bought two spare for my Cambridge Audio CD3 players.

If you are confident, I might suggest degreasing and re-greasing the rails on the mechanism. These often seize up after some time with liquids in the grease very slow evaporating and the whole substance hardening.
    Hi jusbe ,

Can you kindly advise how do I (1) Degrease and Regrease and with what Liquid or Gel or Grease.
    I am encountering similar problem again.

Thank you very much.

I'm Justin.

Hi jusbe ,

Can you kindly advise how do I (1) Degrease and Regrease and with what Liquid or Gel or Grease.
    I am encountering similar problem again.

Thank you very much.
    Depending on what type of grease is used, you simply need a solvent and something like a Q-tip (for cleaning ears). The idea is not to let the solvent spread everywhere. Depending on your machine and transport, you may have to do some simple disassembly, but the goal is to wipe the old material clean, and reapply a fresh layer of similar, long-lasting grease.

Good luck!

I'm mick.

A small tube of Lithium grease from a local cycle shop or online is all you need [couple quid,if that, at most]This is what most disk players and old vhs recorders used and is more than adequate.Mick
    Nothin' I do don't seem to work ,it only seems to make matters worse!. Jagger/Richards

I'm Neil.

Hmm, I have a few units that need to be powered on for a while before they start working properly, I suspect it's a dry solder joint somewhere. Have you tried keeping your unit on all day & see if it helps? Retouching the suspect solder joint might fix it...
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast