+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Croft 25R+

I'm Timothy.

It doesn't appear to be a full-on 25RS here, but maybe the "S" stands for "special"? I could be a bit wrong there, but either way, looks to be definitely some differences in the resistors. Never mind, I see James has replied.

Yes, I should do the line stage upgrades as a minimum possibly, as I am still phono-less at the moment, oh the horrors! Anyway, well done James!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    It doesn't appear to be a full-on 25RS here, but maybe the "S" stands for "special"? I could be a bit wrong there, but either way, looks to be definitely some differences in the resistors. Never mind, I see James has replied.

Yes, I should do the line stage upgrades as a minimum possibly, as I am still phono-less at the moment, oh the horrors! Anyway, well done James!
    You have access to loads of fantastic tube suppliers in the states Tim so should be able to trick a 25R out with some very good NOS tubes. I particularly recommend a NOS RCA 12BH7a 1950,s or early 60's in the linestage if you can get one?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Timothy.

Thanks for the recommendations James. I haven't ventured too far down that rabbit hole yet, but it is only a matter of time-without getting too crazy. I have been looking at various 12AX7's for my line stage as things stand now. Biding some time yet, work is killing me right now! You know what they say, all work and no play...
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm James.

I thought I had come to the end of my tube rolling with the 25R but as I had read so many good reports regarding Brimar valves I though I would try one.

It was supplied by Anthony (Tube Distinctions) and I must say he let be have a superb example. This was an unused NOS Black plate 12BH7 which is used in my line stage. After 20 hours run in I can must say this is by far the best valve of this type I have used in this position. My previous reference was an NOS RCA 12BH7a which gave wonderful clarity but the Brimar goes further in this respect. However it's ability to create a huge soundstage with wonderful layering of detail is amazing. Helen and myself have both noticed not only details that lay obscured but also an extra vivid dimension especially to vocals where acoustic nuances have been revealed.

What a fabulous valve and a big thanks to Anthony for his excellent service which also included testing the valve and super speedy delivery -next day!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Brian.

Would this valve be suitable for the standard 25 James ?
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Would this valve be suitable for the standard 25 James ?
    Hi Brian, the 12BH7a valve is not really suitable for the line stage on the standard 25 or 25R as this position is optimised for a ECC 83. The circuitry needs to be changed to use a 12BH7 valve.

I'm Brian.

Thanks mate
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12