View Poll Results: How do you rate this Album?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

1 7.14%
  • 5/10

1 7.14%
  • 6/10

1 7.14%
  • 7/10

1 7.14%
  • 8/10

1 7.14%
  • 9/10

5 35.71%
  • 10/10

4 28.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Album Club, April 2017: The Cinematic Orchestra - 'Everyday'

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post
    This turned out to be a little lesson for me. Checking out music on my headphones during my lunch break is far from ideal. At home with lights down and a nice glass of the red stuff is more like it. I really enjoyed this album, coming alive on my HiFi at home as opposed to rather dull on the headphones. Great textures, great musicianship. The vocal tracks grabbed me less so but it's going to get further listens so I may change opinion on that part.

I used to have an EP of theirs years ago called 'Diabolus'. Terrific track. Anyway listening to this prompted me to pull out some other stuff from that time in my life when I was listening this kind of thing such as Red Snapper, Thievery Corporation, Fila Brasillia etc. All good stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion Neil. A very good record. I'll give it a limp 5/10 on my lunch break! But a sparkling 9/10 on the sofa in the sweet spot.

Cheers

Loz
    Great you had an about face with it. Ahhh yes Thievery Corporation very nice.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamics View Post
    I'd happily contribute a review for May if available. I think I know what it will be judging what I'm listening to a lot of. Easily best new electronic album of 2017 so far for me. Sorry I'm going going going now (and should get to bed) and a clue but no Puccini opera too. Now thats made it obvious.
    Hi Simon send the Album Club a pm offering and he will assign you a slot for later in the year. http://theartofsound.net/forum/membe...514-Album-Club
    Regards Neil

I'm Simon.

I've listened to this album throughout a few times and whilst I think it's pretty good I don't quite think it's as musically engaging as some in terms of the quality of the melodies on offer. It offers very good musicianship in its structure but it's lacking in tunes a bit for my tastes.

Compare it to say zero 7's simple things album which came out in 2001, a year before, and this zero 7 album not only has the similar quality of instrumentation and how the tracks are put together, but melodies are better too. I think this cinematic orchestra album is as close in style with this zero 7 sound in terms of the bass line, electronic pianos and jazz wind instruments, plus a vocal on top. If only maybe zero 7 is a bit more 'samey'

But then something like zero 7 is a bit more commercial so its maybe someone's preference to have less 'tune' and more original 'sound', if that makes sense. Every album has a place and this is great for putting on and chilling out and reading a book, whereby you maybe don't need the mental busyness that melodies sometimes might bring in music.

But some thievery corporation albums and albums from bonobo (e.g. Animal magic, which also came out in 2001) beat it for me, with similar jazz esque inspired lazy down and mid tempo electronica. Listening to something like the track 'futures' on zero 7s album 'the garden' and you get this jazz sound and a hugely pleasing melody. Or 'the plug' of bonobos animal magic, too. Or mixing it up a bit more try 'hushed' on hidden orchestras album called archipelago. It brings the same instruments but you get a melody you just want to play again. The same deep bass line with lovely clarinets. A lovely piece of music, if a bit melancholic. I'd maybe add some groove armada into the mix too, in this category.

But i did like the way this cinematic orchestra album infused lots of different instruments and sounds into a relaxed downtempo composition on some tracks, particularly the track 'burn out'. On others it went more mid tempo and a bit faster to change the pace a bit. I like the track 'evolution' which came closest to getting a really good melody out, with the way the song is split into two components parts.

So it's definetely not on a level of a massive attack blue lines or protection 10/10, or a underworld dubnobasswithmyheadman 10/10, as far as electronic albums go. But I'd definetely buy it and I'd give it 7/10 for its relaxed sound if short of melodies a bit I thought.

Excellent album and scored 9/10 although I think Ma Fleur is better. New album due out this year which I am keen to hear.
    Paul.

I'm Neil.

Thank you Paul and Simon for listening And liking the album.
    Regards Neil

I'm Mike.

If you like this try
    Motion (also known as In Motion)
    As good as Every day
    Remixes 1998-2000 also worth a listen
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    If you like this try
    Motion (also known as In Motion)
    As good as Every day
    Remixes 1998-2000 also worth a listen
    Thank you for the suggestion, I will check that out.
    Regards Neil

I'm Daniel.

I'm a fan of this album. It's one I listen to whenever I change a component in my system. If you like this kind of thing I rate gogo penguin.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by reubensheldon View Post
    I'm a fan of this album. It's one I listen to whenever I change a component in my system. If you like this kind of thing I rate gogo penguin.
    Thank you Daniel, I will check them out.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123