View Poll Results: How do you rate this Album?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

1 7.14%
  • 5/10

1 7.14%
  • 6/10

1 7.14%
  • 7/10

1 7.14%
  • 8/10

1 7.14%
  • 9/10

5 35.71%
  • 10/10

4 28.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, April 2017: The Cinematic Orchestra - 'Everyday'

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, April 2017: The Cinematic Orchestra - 'Everyday'

The album Club choice for April comes courtesy of Neil (Dalek Supreme DL) with The Cinematic Orchestra - 'Everyday'. As always, please listen to the Album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

The Cinematic Orchestra - 'Everyday'

Link to Band Info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ci...#Studio_albums

Bands Website - https://www.cinematicorchestra.com/

The Cinematic Orchestra is a British nu jazz and electronic music group, created in 1999 by Jason Swinscoe. The group is signed to independent record label Ninja Tune. Other musicians involved in the group include:PC (Patrick Carpenter) on turntables, Luke Flowers (drums), Tom Chant (saxophone), Nick Ramm (piano), Stuart McCallum (guitar) and Phil France (double bass). Former members include Jamie Coleman (trumpet), T. Daniel Howard (drums), Federico Ughi (drums), Alex James (piano), and Clean Sadness (synthesizer, programming). The most recent addition to the band is Mancunian guitarist Stuart McCallum.

The Cinematic Orchestra create a fairly unique sound, featuring both live and studio contexts, this employs a live band which improvises alongside a turntablist and electronic elements, such as samples provided by Swinscoe. In their studio releases Swinscoe will often remix the live source material to produce a combination of live jazz improvisation with electronica, such that it is difficult to tell where the improvisation ends and the production begins.

Everyday is their 2002 second album and has at times a strong jazz vibe, particularly on the first track featuring Fontella Bass on vocals, All that You Give and the track Evolution also featuring a very impassioned Fontella vocal.

Second track, Burn Out has a strong 70s vibe mixing chill out electronica with jazz and there are also some slight prog rock elements present.

Track three, Flite at times reminds me of Pierre Moerlen Gong, with a very percussive almost drum and bass vibe.

Track five, Man With The Movie Camera (later expanded on in the album of the same name) is a strong nod to the film score music of Bernard Herrmann and has a somewhat minimalist almost avant garde aspect to it. The track starts of very simply and builds as new elements are added, drums, percussion and beautifully haunting keyboards. There is a jazz aspect to this track as well towards the end, having started with an almost classical music intro.

Track six, All Things to All Men is a wonderfully haunting piece of music which features samples from John Barry's film soundtrack to the 1968 film Petulia. Roots Manuva provides rap vocals during the track.

Track seven, Everyday is a somewhat weaker composition and while it works ok does provide a slightly poor end to what is in my opinion an overall wonderful album.

Later in November 2002 the album was re-released with two extra tracks.

Oregon - is a minimalist piece with everything underpinned behind a mournful instrument soloing.

Horizon, track nine on the re-released album, is a beautiful end to the new version of the album and leaves Everyday with a much more upbeat ending. Niara Scarlett provides the vocal and the track has a somewhat 70s soul vibe, mixed in with some jazz and chill out electronica elements. Horizon like much of the album sounds like the music for a film.

This was my first encounter with this group and it immediately drew me to buy as many of their other albums as I could, this groups music excited me. As this was my first exposure to this somewhat unique electronica/dance group it is so far my favourite album by them, but their other material is also well worth seeking out, both studio albums, soundtracks and live recordings.

Neil

Extended version of the Album on You Tube

Also worth checking out is their album Man With A Movie Camera, a somewhat more minimalist stripped down affair at times but wonderful in its beautifully haunting chill out melodies.

I'm Neil.

I voted 9 out of 10

No surprise there
    Regards Neil

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Utterly brilliant - I love this sort of stuff! Really imaginative use of sampling; the harp work sounds like the playing of Alice Coltrane.

I'm going to see if this is still available and get a copy.

10/10 from me!

Nice one Neil.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Not really me tbh, as I suspected alas. I kinda like my music to go somewhere, and always found electronica in general doesnt.(just my take of the genre as a whole)
    After saying that, I would think if you like this style you would really like this as it does sound technically good.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Utterly brilliant - I love this sort of stuff! Really imaginative use of sampling; the harp work sounds like the playing of Alice Coltrane.

I'm going to see if this is still available and get a copy.

10/10 from me!

Nice one Neil.
    Glad you like it Barry They haven't really released a bad album, so their other material is worth looking into as well.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Not really me tbh, as I suspected alas. I kinda like my music to go somewhere, and always found electronica in general doesnt.(just my take of the genre as a whole)
    After saying that, I would think if you like this style you would really like this as it does sound technically good.
    That's ok Grant, thank you for taking the time to have a listen.
    Regards Neil

I'm Mike.

loved it Neil, the sort of thing i put and just let the sound wash over me, similar in some ways to Bob Zopp

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Will.

10/10 for me a work of true genius, fantastic musicianship, possibly the best drummer I've seen live...Also treat yourselves to the Man With a Movie Camera DVD/CD another 10/10
    Cheers, Will

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    10/10 for me a work of true genius, fantastic musicianship, possibly the best drummer I've seen live...Also treat yourselves to the Man With a Movie Camera DVD/CD another 10/10
    Glad you enjoyed it Will, thank you for listening.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    loved it Neil, the sort of thing i put and just let the sound wash over me, similar in some ways to Bob Zopp
    Glad you loved it Mike, thank you for listening.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast