The album Club choice for April comes courtesy of Neil (Dalek Supreme DL) with The Cinematic Orchestra - 'Everyday'. As always, please listen to the Album in its entirety before you comment and/or vote.

The Cinematic Orchestra - 'Everyday'

Link to Band Info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ci...#Studio_albums

Bands Website - https://www.cinematicorchestra.com/

The Cinematic Orchestra is a British nu jazz and electronic music group, created in 1999 by Jason Swinscoe. The group is signed to independent record label Ninja Tune. Other musicians involved in the group include:PC (Patrick Carpenter) on turntables, Luke Flowers (drums), Tom Chant (saxophone), Nick Ramm (piano), Stuart McCallum (guitar) and Phil France (double bass). Former members include Jamie Coleman (trumpet), T. Daniel Howard (drums), Federico Ughi (drums), Alex James (piano), and Clean Sadness (synthesizer, programming). The most recent addition to the band is Mancunian guitarist Stuart McCallum.

The Cinematic Orchestra create a fairly unique sound, featuring both live and studio contexts, this employs a live band which improvises alongside a turntablist and electronic elements, such as samples provided by Swinscoe. In their studio releases Swinscoe will often remix the live source material to produce a combination of live jazz improvisation with electronica, such that it is difficult to tell where the improvisation ends and the production begins.

Everyday is their 2002 second album and has at times a strong jazz vibe, particularly on the first track featuring Fontella Bass on vocals, All that You Give and the track Evolution also featuring a very impassioned Fontella vocal.

Second track, Burn Out has a strong 70s vibe mixing chill out electronica with jazz and there are also some slight prog rock elements present.

Track three, Flite at times reminds me of Pierre Moerlen Gong, with a very percussive almost drum and bass vibe.

Track five, Man With The Movie Camera (later expanded on in the album of the same name) is a strong nod to the film score music of Bernard Herrmann and has a somewhat minimalist almost avant garde aspect to it. The track starts of very simply and builds as new elements are added, drums, percussion and beautifully haunting keyboards. There is a jazz aspect to this track as well towards the end, having started with an almost classical music intro.

Track six, All Things to All Men is a wonderfully haunting piece of music which features samples from John Barry's film soundtrack to the 1968 film Petulia. Roots Manuva provides rap vocals during the track.

Track seven, Everyday is a somewhat weaker composition and while it works ok does provide a slightly poor end to what is in my opinion an overall wonderful album.

Later in November 2002 the album was re-released with two extra tracks.

Oregon - is a minimalist piece with everything underpinned behind a mournful instrument soloing.

Horizon, track nine on the re-released album, is a beautiful end to the new version of the album and leaves Everyday with a much more upbeat ending. Niara Scarlett provides the vocal and the track has a somewhat 70s soul vibe, mixed in with some jazz and chill out electronica elements. Horizon like much of the album sounds like the music for a film.

This was my first encounter with this group and it immediately drew me to buy as many of their other albums as I could, this groups music excited me. As this was my first exposure to this somewhat unique electronica/dance group it is so far my favourite album by them, but their other material is also well worth seeking out, both studio albums, soundtracks and live recordings.

Neil

Extended version of the Album on You Tube

Also worth checking out is their album Man With A Movie Camera, a somewhat more minimalist stripped down affair at times but wonderful in its beautifully haunting chill out melodies.