+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Best 40-43" TV?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Question Best 40-43" TV?

Guys,

We need a new TV, which we'd like to wall-mount in our lounge, and the space we have available will fit, at the max, a 43" TV.

Now, I know next to nothing about these things, as I've long lost touch with current technology in the TV/AV arena. So, essentially what's the difference between LED and Plasma, and which is considered the 'best' (although I know that's subjective)?

Whilst some 'gadgetry' would be useful, linking up with Smart phones, etc, which I also intend to get into shortly, the 'holy grail' with TVs, for me, is picture quality. So, whilst useful modern facilities would be good, I'd sacrifice some of those for the TV that delivered the most bright/pin-sharp images. That is the priority.

We're looking to install Sky Q, so would be getting a new main Sky box, etc, and looking to take advantage of the maximum resolution that's available these days from broadcasts, primarily for watching live sport, music channels and movies.

We were looking at something like this: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-...43740-pdt.html

From my limited knowledge and research so far, the Panasonic Viera range seems to be highly regarded in terms of its picture quality, although others say Samsung is where it's at now.

So what say you all?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Plasma TVs are no longer made Marco.

I've been looking into buying a new telly and I think I would look at OLED displays.

The best person to help you is either User211 and/or Gazjam, as I believe both have gone through the same decision making.
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Guys,

We need a new TV, which we'd like to wall-mount in our lounge, and the space we have available will fit, at the max, a 43" TV.

Now, I know next to nothing about these things, as I've long lost touch with current technology in the TV/AV arena. So, essentially what's the difference between LED and Plasma, and which is considered the 'best' (although I know that's subjective)?

Whilst some 'gadgetry' would be useful, linking up with Smart phones, etc, which I also intend to get into shortly, the 'holy grail' for with TVs for me is picture quality. So, whilst useful modern facilities would be good, I'd sacrifice some of those for the TV that delivered the most bright/pin-sharp images. That is the priority.

We're looking to install Sky Q, so would be getting a new main Sky box, etc, and looking to take advantage of the maximum resolution that's available these days from broadcasts, primarily for watching live sport, music channels and movies.

We were looking at something like this: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-...43740-pdt.html

From my limited knowledge and research so far, the Panasonic Viera range seems to be highly regarded in terms of its picture quality, although others say Samsung is where it's at now.

So what say you all?

Marco.
    My brother has a pan... he likes it even though heis a ludite when techy things are concerned ... lol..
    Its a very good pic on it but so are most of them tbh. most you can adjust everything etc. you want as many connections on back as possible, as they come in handy...
    Sure the guys that are into their tellies now will have the latest up to date gen on models
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Plasma TVs are no longer made Marco.

I've been looking into buying a new telly and I think I would look at OLED displays.

The best person to help you is either User211 and/or Gazjam, as I believe both have gone through the same decision making.
    Cheers, Barry. I'll alert both to the existence of this thread (incase they miss it)

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    My brother has a pan... he likes it even though heis a ludite when techy things are concerned ... lol..
    Its a very good pic on it but so are most of them tbh. most you can adjust everything etc. you want as many connections on back as possible, as they come in handy...
    Sure the guys that are into their tellies now will have the latest up to date gen on models
    The Pany seems to tick most of the boxes, dude, but I'm very much open to suggestions here, with as I said, ultimate picture quality being the main aim

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

40'' is very small. I think you should try and find space for at least a 50'' - all very well having a sharp picture but if the screen is not big enough you lose that immersive quality. You can get 60'' now for a bag of sand.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Brian.

I had a Panasonic 37 inch plasma TV for around 6 years , mainly because I didn't like the picture from other types of TV . However , I recently bought a 48 inch Sony 1080p LED TV and the picture is superior to my old Panasonic . The technology has moved on leaps and bounds in the last few years and the picture on my old Panasonic looked dull and lifeless by comparison .
    I think that plasma TV production has been discontinued and the choice is now very limited anyway . If you can get yourself down to a John Lewis store and have a look at the myriad of TVs on offer , usually all switched on so you can compare them virtually side by side . Currys usually do the same thing , however , John Lewis offer a 5 year guarantee with most of their TVs and their service is second to none in my experience .
    As Martin says , get a bigger TV if you can fit it in , because 3 months down the line you'll be wishing you had
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    40'' is very small. I think you should try and find space for at least a 50'' - all very well having a sharp picture but if the screen is not big enough you lose that immersive quality. You can get 60'' now for a bag of sand.
    This.
    Bigger the better, things get more interesting 60" and up imo.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm scott.

Projector with a electric screen takes up very little space movies on a 100+ screen

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Sadly, that's not going to happen, mate. There simply isn't the room, and also we don't want our very traditional 'country cottage'-looking lounge dominated by a huge TV screen!

The main focus of attention will always be our inglenook fireplace, with wood burner, not a bloody big TV... Just a matter of personal taste and priorities

What's unquestionable, is that the new TV will be a MASSIVE improvement over our existing one, which is tiny, and freaking ancient!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast