+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UHD-when will it be available?

I'm Jerry.

Default UHD-when will it be available?

Lots of people including me are buying UHD tv's and then finding there is nothing to watch. As far as I can tell there is a BBC sports channel, a few things on you tube and Netflix but bugger all else. Also, I think your set top box needs to be UHD ready.
    It has been talked about for a long time, anyone got more knowledge about when it will become readily available.
    Last edited by Covenant; 26-11-2017 at 21:33.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Bob.

Bottom line is the normal broadcasters are still working out what to do regards 4k. I would guess the BBC would look at using iPlayer to allow 4k over the internet,not sure how they will broadcast in 4k especially over the Arial compared to satellite.

So at the moment it's Netflix, Amazon, some Sky and BT sports packages.

Yes any set top box or even the TV itself will need to be able to receive and throughput any 4k broadcasts. Otherwise your TV would be "4k ready", just like a lot of HD TV's of a little while ago, the TV had an HD screen but the tuners may only be SD so they were sold as HD ready.

Having said that, don't worry your 4k TV is still (Or should be) head and shoulders above an HD TV as most of them can upscale and massively improve the picture compared to a standard HD set.

I have a Panasonic TX-65CX802B 65 inch 4k 3d and just upgraded by software HDR and ran a test today.

I watched one of the Netflix "Moving art" films, firstly through Netflix on the TV so full 4k with HDR, then through my standard Xbox One so up scaled HD, then ran the same film on my wife's 50 inch HD TV.

No surprise on a score out of 10 out of 10 the full 4k blows everything away and gets 10 out of 10 the up scaled HD maybe a 7 out of 10, the plain HD a 3 out of 10.

And yes I am replacing my Xbox One with a 4k Xbox One X very soon.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Los of people including me are buying UHD tv's and then finding there is nothing to watch. As far as I can tell there is a BBC sports channel, a few things on you tube and Netflix but bugger all else.
    Hi Jerry,

How's it going? Hope you are well

Right now, to experience UHD, you really need to subscribe to Sky, as there are a plethora of movies to choose from on UHD, and of course live events on Sky Sports. In terms of both, I can say that the quality is superb, viewed on my Sony 4K TV.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Bob.

For me the problem is I really dislike SKY and the Murdoch's, but I will review the situation when I move to my new house after Xmas.

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ...you really need to subscribe to Sky...

Pay money to the Evil Empire? Never! I still have some principles left.

Lol, guys.... I completely agree, *but* ultimately I love watching my favourite team (Glasgow Celtic) too much to deprive myself of that, simply because of my political principles, i.e. I love Celtic more than I hate Murdoch!

It might be different if I still lived in Scotland, and could both get to games easily and watch Sportscene (and Celtic matches) on terrestial TV (BBC1 Scotland), but living in Wales means that's not possible. The only way to see my team play on TV, is to watch them on Sky Sports/BT Sport

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inactive.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

It might be different if I still lived in Scotland, and could both get to games easily and watch Sportscene (and Celtic matches) on terrestial TV (BBC1 Scotland), but living in Wales means that's not possible. The only way to see my team play on TV, is to watch them on Sky Sports/BT Sport

Marco.
    Worth noting that you can easily watch BBC Scotland via the BBC website (connect your Mac to the telly or watch on monitor) Click on the 'TV' link and switch region to Scotland - job done !

Hi Mike,

Yup true, but I'd only get match highlights. The games themselves are live on Sky Sports or BT Sport, so ultimately some form of subscription is necessary

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Jerry.

Hi Marco
    I am good thanks. I got rid of Sky years ago and i am not going back. They are rip off merchants.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Glad you're well, Jerry. No worries, I can understand why you feel that way

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread