+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GL75 tonearm and bearing mods.

I'm Ralph.

Brian, if it works ok with your Shure cartridge then that's fine but I just wonder if it might work better in a slightly lighter headshell, somewhere between a standard headshell at 16g and the heavy one at 22g. I think I might just make another headshell with two removeable shims giving +3g +6g and +9g and maybe I should also get hold of a Jico stylus for one of my M55e carts and have a play. Which stylus did you buy Brian?
    Ralph.

I'm James.

I have the Shure M55e cartridge with a Jico stylus but it is the SAS version - very good indeed and compliance is perfect match with the standard Lenco arm and headshell. I also have a NOS N55 stylus for the Shure which sounds very good indeed, however the JICO SAS is outstanding.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Brian.

Im using a Shure M55E Ralph with Jico elliptical stylus.
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Ralph.

Thanks chaps. I also have a very low mileage M97xE with both its own stylus and a standard Jico elliptical stylus. I didn't particularly like this cartridge but I feel I must put some miles on it and see if it shapes itself.
    Ralph.

I'm Andrew.

I have the m55e with the neoSAS stylus and it knocks the older more expensive Shure carts out the water and will leave a stock denon 103 well behind and is probably equal to the ortofon 2m black. Yes it costs a bit of money but it's worth it.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Ralph.

Thanks Andrew, I'll have a look at the neoSAS. Tbh the DL103 has never done much for me either and I've had a few. I might just pick up another R version though at some time just for the sake of the collection
    Ralph.

I'm Ralph.

Ok so this afternoon I swapped out the Red for the xE with Jico elliptical stylus and boy did it take some setting up but I have to say it sounds like it's going the right way. It needs some hours putting on it now.
    Ralph.

I'm Ralph.

I managed to finish the bearing for my L70 today. It's taken me several weeks to get this done, the biggest problem I had was reaming out the oilite bushings to the correct size. In the end I realised that my cheap reamers weren't up to the job. I managed to borrow a decent set from a good friend and that's the next thing on the want list for the workshop. Here's a couple of pics of things so far.

The housing was turned from aluminium for no better reason than I just happened to have a lump that was the right size for the job. The end piece was turned from brass because it can stand a bit more abuse than aluminium. I'm sticking with original spindle because there's nothing not to like about it and it's the best bit of the original bearing. The oilite bushings came from the Bearing Boys and the thrust pad was turned from a length of peek rod.

Nice sideways shot of the completed bearing. I still haven't managed to master this photo hosting thing yet!

Here's the underside of my L70. There's just enough clearance for the speed change at 16 rpm which I'll use to disconnect the idler wheel as I do with all my Lencos.

A shot from the top showing the bearing installed. I made sure there's a well above the top bearing bush so it'll never run dry. Lube is 75/80 gear oil though I might try something lighter after the bearing has had a few hours put on the clock.

Finally one with the platter in place. I was amazed that I got the platter height right first time though I made sure I had room for a thicker thrust pad if I needed more height. All in all I'm fairly happy with result. There is some noise from the bearing housing but it is small and may diminish as the bearing runs in. It's still miles in front of the worn out, sloppy bearing the deck came with.
    Ralph.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12