+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Possible Rewire Of Rotel RP 1500

I'm Dan.

Default Possible Rewire Of Rotel RP 1500

Hi

Some of you may know i cam across this brand new boxed Rotel RP 1500 last year - upon testing its got a buzz i think its tonearm related with the wiring which is DIN i am looking into a possible rewire wit interconnects so i can use with any other amplifier - does this add value or decrease originality. Ive booked it in to be looked at tomorrow and we go from their thoughts on +'sand -'s please I will check it could be american spec as has an AC plug could this cause this buzz? all channels are working but the buzz is too loud to leave...

Thanks
    Bi Amplification
    Quad 33 with current Mod for CD
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Clive.

Not familiar with the use of the DIN connectors to be able to comment on that. All my decks use RCA.

Things to check are connections to the cartridge as well as the cartridge itself. Have you swapped cartridges?

Ground wire connection to the arm tube - you would need to dismantle to check that unless you can use a multimeter and can find a place to prod externally.

Ground wire connection internal to the deck from the chassis. You would need to look inside to check that.

Ground wire connections to the board inside the deck.

The lead to the amplifier itself. I have recently acquired a SONY biotracer where the lead has an issue but if I carefully adjust the lead then the hum disappears.

The plug into the amplifier you are using. Does it have a ground post. Are the connections clean.

Other problems can be related to proximity to certain equipment or even the number of units you have in your system. I have had hum from my Heybrook TT2 when connected to a couple of phono stages but it works fine with others.

I'm Anto.

Din plugs are a menace IMO
    My Ferguson TT had a buzz , and despite the din plug looking all good inside and the adaptor din socket too (with rca connectors on the end of the adaptor to allow me to connect to the amp ) , but even if it worked ok , you would have 2 extra plugs where you dont need them . More to go wrong! )
    So I unsoldered the din lead and resoldered a cable with pre attached phono / rca plugs on it .
    Buzz went away
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Dan.

Off she goes for her rewire - been told it is a Jelco tonearm it should be home by the end of the day Will go in the 3rd system with the Sony bookends set & speakers in the same room as the rest...

3 systems in one room too much gear...
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Dan.

Shes home - Now plug & play sounding mighty fine -
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Dan.

Setting in for the evening - Not much love for these old Rotels on the AOS then from where im sat it sounds very good to me...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bi Amplification
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm Geoff.

I doubt there's much wrong with the RP1500. It's just that not many people have used them. They were not a big seller like the contemporary Sansui, Trio and Pioneer turntables. Actually, the direct drive RP3000 is more common.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Anto.

I have a direct drive Rotel made TT on my Triumph combo , but its not as nice as yours !!

Thats proper lovely
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    Setting in for the evening - Not much love for these old Rotels on the AOS then from where im sat it sounds very good to me...
    Looks like it shares much of the 'DNA' of the Pioneer PL-71, which I suspect is probably who made the Rotel. As is the PL-71, I'm sure it's a great T/T - enjoy!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ralph.

The RP1500 was my first proper turntable and I bought mine new from Laskys, Preston in 1978. Plug in and play for sixty quid, happy days
    Ralph.

+ Reply to Thread