+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Record cleaning fluid controversies

I'm Alex.

Default Record cleaning fluid controversies

Audio is an expensive, time wasti... er, time consuming hobby. And to add insult to an injury, it is also quite confusing, as it seems rife with controversy.

You start building your audio system, you read the reviews, you frequent audio forums, you even befriend local audio salesguys. You're buying components, you're setting them up, pairing them, you're learning, and you put a lot of stock into what many self-proclaimed, self-appointed 'gurus' claim.

Then comes the moment when you realize that those haughty 'gurus' often severely contradict each other. Now what? The best thing at that junction is to roll up one's sleeves and see for oneself. Trust your ears, not your eyes. We're talking sound, music, after all. Aural phenomena and all that jazz.

I've recently made a decision to delay considering any upgrades to my audio components until I first squeeze the maximum out of my existing configuration. What I mean by that is:

1. Set my turntable on a platform (low mass/high rigidity) that will minimize (hopefully eliminate) any unwanted vibrations and will ensure that my TT is perfectly levelled
    2. Review and possibly improve my speaker positioning/listening room treatment
    3. Figure out the best possible way to clean my records/styli and to make sure they stay clean

The above goals should be achievable without making a large dent in my budget, which makes it an even more reasonable decision.

OK, off to work I go. The first two goals are relatively straightforward, with little or no controversy and a rather clear consensus in the audiophile community at large. But the third goal got me stumped. After reading numerous reviews/opinions/suggestions on the best way to clean LPs, I find myself in utter confusion. I would like to mention some of the controversies that are flooding this field of record cleaning, in the hopes that someone could help me leave the brambles and find my way toward proper record cleaning.

Controversy #1: Alcohol

Opinons on using alcohol when cleaning records range from one extreme (NEVER use alcohol in any, even tiniest proportion, because it renders vinyl grooves brittle), to another extreme (alcohol is totally harmless, but also totally useless, as it contributes absolutely nothing to the record cleaning process).

And then there are countless opinions that fall in-between these two extremes. Too many to mention here. Some 'gurus' are adamant that alcohol is only useful in helping the drying process, as it speeds up evaporation. So if using vacuum record cleaning process, alcohol is absolutely not necessary. Others claim that without alcohol, it would be impossible to even start the cleaning process, as it is the only substance that can actually loosen the grit and allow us to clean the grooves.

Controversy #2: Water

Some insist that only the purest, medical lab grade distilled water should ever come into contact with LPs. Others are much more lenient, and claim that unpure water, when used with detergents, is harmless.

Some claim that LPs should only be cleaned with distilled water, no other substances added, not even in traces. Others claim that water alone is useless in the cleaning process, as it cannot break up the dirt accumulated in the grooves.

Controversy #3: Surfactants

Here is where the real madness begins. Countless products are being thrown around. Some of them touted as the holy grail of record cleaning, only to be debunked by another group of 'experts' who are issuing warning about the damaging effects these products have on LPs.

Furthermore, the role of surfactants seems controversial: while some claim that these substances only serve to reduce the surface tension of the water, allowing it to penetrate microscopic nooks and crannies in the grooves, others are adamant that without surfactants we cannot expect the grooves to get cleaned. So according to them, surfactants are not needed for reducing the surface tension, they are needed for the actual cleaning of the grit in the grooves.

Controversy #4: Mechanical cleaning

Some claim that we must only use the softest possible brushes and then apply the pressure very gently, not to damage delicate grooves. Other insist that a lot of elbow grease is mandatory -- rub the LP vigorously with sturdy brush to form a lot of suds and scrub the grooves.

Controversy #5: To soak the LP or not to soak it

Some claim that the grooves must be soaked in the record cleaning fluid applied liberally, and then left for a few minutes for the emulsion to do its magic. Others warn against such approach, and insist that record cleaning fluid must be in touch with the grooves for the shortest possible time. As soon as we apply the fluid, we should scrub it and then quickly vacuum it bone dry.

Controversy #6: Single or multiple vacuuming of the LP

Some advocate to clean an LP in several steps, with the vacuuming step executed after each of those steps. Some even insist that it is necessary to first vacuum the dry LP before applying the cleaning fluid.

Some insist that even after the record has been thoroughly cleaned and vacuumed, we still need to wash it again with distilled water, to rinse any residue, and then do one final vacuuming. Others claim that a single vacuuming at the end of the cleaning session is enough.

Controversy #7: Air drying

Some claim that even after doing a thorough vacuuming of the LP, it needs to be left in a drying rack for additional air drying. Others claim that air drying is harmful to the record as it attracts particles of dust that stick to the grooves.

Controversy #8: Static electricity

Some claim that vacuuming is harmful as it generates static electricity which attracts particles of dust and dirt.

Controversy #9: Home-made RCF or purchased RCF

Some claim that it is dangerous to make one's own RCF, and that the decision should be left to professionals. But then there are so many commercially available RCFs that contradict each other -- some are alcohol based, some are detergent based, etc. Confusion...

I'll stop here. As you can see, it gets really hard to come up with a reasonable regime of cleaning one's records, if we were to follow various 'experts' on the topic.

Possible reasons for the confusion:

1. Shills -- manufacturers are know for fabricating claims and presenting them via 'independent' channels. Someone working for the manufacturer poses under false pretences as being merely a hobbyist and then makes exaggerated claims how that particular brand is the absolute best solution. This type of dishonesty is very problematic, as it gets hard to unmask the impostors.

2. Counter-propaganda -- manufacturers fighting the competition by hiring a scientist of some sorts (in this case a chemist) who will use complicated scientific vernacular to debunk the product marketed by the competition. A lot of times those 'scientific' claims are pure bullshit, but it can hurt us, consumers. by chasing us away from what could potentially be a good solution for our problems.

3. Butt-sniffers -- the internet is chock full of butt-sniffers. Those are people who obsess about personalities. As soon as they detect someone who is passionate about something, and whose passion attracts like minded individuals, butt-sniffers unleash an ad hominem diatribe against the passionate hobbyist. Butt-sniffers then do everything in their power to contradict the passionate hobbyist, and are good at recruiting other mean spirited members. People like to gang up on others, and will use each and every opportunity to do everything possible to make the victim feel powerless, miserable, and inadequate. This shameful pattern keeps repeating on every existing internet forum and chatroom. It is additionally fuelled by the veil of anonymity which allows those spineless miscreants to spread their wings and viciously attack others.

It is often very hard to discern whether the claim about some of the methods listed above are coming from a genuine experience, or are just fabricated by one of the three possible sources (shills, counter-propagandists, or butt-sniffers).
    Last edited by magiccarpetride; 30-03-2017 at 17:32. Reason: typo
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Grant.

You seem to have allowed yourself to become confused. there is a thread by marco on this forum which will tell you all you need to know. Ive been using a vaccuum cleaning machine for years and using alchol and med grade water etc. i have a large collection of valuable records and they are clean, sound great and are in as good condition as they were when bought... better actually. many are over 50 years old.
    Last edited by struth; 30-03-2017 at 17:56.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Blimey!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Simon.

Things I know.

Wet vac works better with a soak, with wetting agent, with surfactant, with a scrub, with pure water, with a second rinse, with an air dry and with natural fibres in your brush and vac head. Synthetic fibres equal static.

All these are true, the flavours of each are to personal taste. The only rule is, surfactant must not be a soap.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    You seem to have allowed yourself to become confused. there is a thread by marco on this forum which will tell you all you need to know. Ive been using a vaccuum cleaning machine for years and using alchol and med grade water etc. i have a large collection of valuable records and they are clean, sound great and are in as good condition as they were when bought... better actually. many are over 50 years old.
    I've been buying a lot, and I mean a lot of used LPs lately. All those need to be cleaned before I can enjoy them. I find that using commercial RCFs is damaging to my budget (I'd much rather spend money on more LPs, more LPs!) So I'm on a hunt for the best home made fluid. Hence my confusion -- L'Art du Son is too expensive, so now should I use alcohol, which surfactant, etc.?

I read through Marco's thread (not the entire thread, but some posts), and again, the opinions seem to vary and differ.

I have ordered Ilford Ilfotol surfactant -- I'm hoping that one will do the trick (once it arrives).
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    L'Art du Son is too expensive, so now should I use alcohol, which surfactant, etc.?
    You have to remember that L'Art du Son makes up to 5 litres of cleaner - that's a lot of records!!
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Grant.

I've been buying a lot, and I mean a lot of used LPs lately. All those need to be cleaned before I can enjoy them. I find that using commercial RCFs is damaging to my budget (I'd much rather spend money on more LPs, more LPs!) So I'm on a hunt for the best home made fluid. Hence my confusion -- L'Art du Son is too expensive, so now should I use alcohol, which surfactant, etc.?

I read through Marco's thread (not the entire thread, but some posts), and again, the opinions seem to vary and differ.

I have ordered Ilford Ilfotol surfactant -- I'm hoping that one will do the trick (once it arrives).
    Ilfatol is what I use I use a little more than most at 10ml per litre And about 20/25% alcohol. A good bristle brush and a good vacuum machine it doesn't need to steep .brush in both directions. A anti static gun is good too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

£32 odd for 5 litres I think is not too bad at all compared with others around.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Ilfatol is what I use I use a little more than most at 10ml per litre And about 20/25% alcohol. A good bristle brush and a good vacuum machine it doesn't need to steep .brush in both directions. A anti static gun is good too
    Another controversy is using warmed up RCF vs using it at a room temperature?

Also, using carbon fibre brush vs natural?

Alex.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast