+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Cheap speaker cable, worth minor upgrade?

I'm Luke.

I didn't get round to trying that Fisual Hollywood stuff, and have just seen a potential bargain price lot of QED silver special 25th anniversary cable, around 20 for 2 x 7m unterminated.

The thing is, I seem to recall this cable getting very mixed reviews, with some rating it highly and others saying it is awful...

Anyone here tried QED 25th anniversary, or think I should just stick with giving the Fisual stuff a try?!

I'm tony.

Fisual stuff has stayed in my system since installed. Well worth a try IMHO.Been through the 79 strand/TQ range/van damme range/belkin/atlas- fisual stuff sounds in my system to be the front runner, Im 6m a side with 57s.

I'm Oliver.

I had the Fisual Dark Hollywood and replaced it with Ixos cable. The Fisual sounded thin to me.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Mission 774 OG Tonearm > Toshiba SR 370 Turntable > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Firebottle OTP Phono Stage > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

I'm Geoff.

I've tried dozens of speaker cables, cheap and not so cheap. I still have quite a few sets, but have finally settled on the comparatively inexpensive Transparent Audio MusiChord. It just sounds right and doesn't get in the way of the music. It also gives excellent results no matter what equipment line up I'm using. So that's what I'll be sticking with.

I have two pairs, 2.5m and 4.0m long. Just as well I bought what I need, this stuff is ridiculously hard to track down.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Alan.

QED all day long

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    I didn't get round to trying that Fisual Hollywood stuff, and have just seen a potential bargain price lot of QED silver special 25th anniversary cable, around 20 for 2 x 7m unterminated.

The thing is, I seem to recall this cable getting very mixed reviews, with some rating it highly and others saying it is awful...

Anyone here tried QED 25th anniversary, or think I should just stick with giving the Fisual stuff a try?!
    'ANSOM IN THE SUMMER..'ORIBBLE IN THE WINTER

Cambridge Audio stream magic 6, Seagate nas drive, Sony X559ES CD Player, Logic DM101 turntable, Rega RB300 / Goldring Eroica, Denon DAP-2500 digital pre, Denon POA4400A monoblocs, Shanling dac 50, Roksan Darius speakers, Target R1's, Atacama Equinox.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    QED all day long
    Are you including the Silver Anniversary cable in that recommendation. It's sounded bright and coarse every time I've used it. And that's in quite a few different system setups.
    Mr. Tact!

Main system: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/One scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/hefty Japanese DD TT and hefty Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. 4 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. TVC stepped attenuator or valve pre-amp or solid state pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/Two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by mad-moon View Post
    QED all day long
    Thanks, I bought it, already on its way in the post!

I figured at that price I could easily give it a try and then either put it in classifieds here or bung it on ebay for what I paid for it if I don't get on with it.

Will be interesting whether I even hear any difference at all...

I'm Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Are you including the Silver Anniversary cable in that recommendation. It's sounded bright and coarse every time I've used it. And that's in quite a few different system setups.
    Yes, I've heard this a few times. So funny that a speaker cable can be so 'Marmite'. Any hint of excessive brightness and it will go straight back on ebay!

I'm Luke.

Well, interesting, very interesting....

I now know that cables can make a difference.

The QED SA lasted about 10 minutes in my system.

Where did the bass disappear to?!

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by LC1979 View Post
    Thanks, I bought it, already on its way in the post!

I figured at that price I could easily give it a try and then either put it in classifieds here or bung it on ebay for what I paid for it if I don't get on with it.

Will be interesting whether I even hear any difference at all...
    Do people actually part with their hard earned on the QED SA?
    Despite all the negative comments about it on forums like this one?

Unbelievable!
    Squeezebox Touch. Beresford Caiman Mk 2 DAC . Kavent SP310 and stupidly heavy torroidal thing. Usher CP 6371, Mains Cables From RA & Krystal Kables. Klotz MC 5000/MS plugs, Talk Cable 3
    Belkin mains conditioner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast