+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Review) Kii THREE Speakers, designed by Bruno Putzeys.

I'm Deleted.

I had the Kii (and controller) demonstrated to me at my house. They were very good with excellent stereo focus and placement. They were a bit dry sounding though and lacked a little tonal ‘density’ - both aspects I have previously heard from the nCore amps. Although bass is punchy it doesn’t actually extend as low as some reports would have you believe and certainly my main system has greater extension (and sense of ‘air’).
    Last edited by YNWaN; 14-01-2018 at 14:50.
    Account Deleted

I'm Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I had the Kii (and controller) demonstrated to me at my house. They were very good with excellent stereo focus and placement. They were a bit dry sounding though and lacked a little tonanl ‘density’ - both aspects I have previously heard from the nCore amps. Although bass is punch it doesn’t actually extend as low as some reports would have you believe and certainly my main system has greater extension (and sense of ‘air’).
    What is your main system? Any comparative measurements (via REW or similar)?
    Speakers: Kii THREE
    Headphones: Lumin A1 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266

I'm Deleted.

We didn’t do any measurements of the Kii’s and although I have done measurements of my own system I don’t have them to hand. The Kii’s were set up by a Kii dealer though. One point of interest was that the mid bass null when stood behind them was most obvious and they certainly lacked the room ‘boom’ that many speakers generate.

My own system is a profoundly different thing. First it is viny as a source whilst th3 Kii’s were used with a digital streamed source. Secondly, the speakers are much larger (NS-1000M), run semi-active with DSP correction at low frequencies and with an actve sub integrated.
    Account Deleted

I'm Ross.

Ah righto, so we're talking very different uses and tastes. The Kii's measure exceptionally well and they certainly don't lack bass. I had a PMC speaker/sub setup before with this beast...

http://pmc-speakers.com/products/pro...rs/twotwo-sub2

... and the bass from the Kii's is better.
    Speakers: Kii THREE
    Headphones: Lumin A1 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266

I'm Deleted.

I was talking about extension, not quantity. The quality of the bass from the Kii’s is very good - but that’s not the same as extension. You can hear that the quality of the Kii upper bass is different to that of the lower bass though.

As for transmission line speakers, well they’ve never done much for me and always seem slower and disjointed in the bass registers.
    Account Deleted

I'm gordan.

i haven't had such a personal demo, but during the show presentation i was quite surprised that it wasn't as dry as most of the similar concepts (ergh - relatively similar, like B&O, genelec etc), it had a bit of tonal colors i didn't really expect. of course it was far from what you get from audio note (and strangely they were room next door so not difficult to compare) but i am sure that it could be intervened if more "audiophile" timbre is needed, via a good tube preamp. OK, that ruins an essence of such a minimalistic system but i think they do have a potential to add on that if needed. also, i could only image what a lampizator type DAC could produce with dutch & dutch that actually needs DAC in their speaker.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I had the Kii (and controller) demonstrated to me at my house. They were very good with excellent stereo focus and placement. They were a bit dry sounding though and lacked a little tonal ‘density’ - both aspects I have previously heard from the nCore amps. Although bass is punchy it doesn’t actually extend as low as some reports would have you believe and certainly my main system has greater extension (and sense of ‘air’).
    Very similar findings to my home demo, although my listening impressions were split into two... in the morning the Kiis sounded bland and with lumpy bass. After lunch (hic, only one *unt pintstable!) they sounded a lot better, much more fluid and the bass seemingly better integrated. The bass was still slighlty odd in that it started and stopped really well but was not particularly tuneful. Stereo imaging was super-pinpoint and quite 3D, but limited in scale. Detail and coherence (excepting the bass issue) were excellent, but despite nothiing obvious missing the overall sound was a touch dry.
    To put this into context, I would rate them as better than ~95% of systems (at any price) that you hear at hifi shows.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12