+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: grandinote amplifiers

I'm Mike.

Have been quite impressed by the Shinai and also Grandinotes RIAA who's name is totally lost at the moment!
    They are expensive, the homepage is a disaster and the product line seems like the collected works from an mental institute but they sound absolutely marvellous!
    I mean, how many 37W amplifiers can there be a need for in a line up?

I'm Phil.

brilliant mike , I have put the proemio back in system and certainly makes the speakers sound a bit like Wilson watt puppys , the grunt and drive is exceptional . playing the farm `altogether now ` this morning , deep purple `smoke on the water` and pinball wizard . it really is quite a beastie . extremely different from the modwright 9.0 which very sweet , textured and creamy smooth and also very enjoyable .

I just love to see how different designers can produce such different sounds from pre amps
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Mike.

Cheers Phil, agree about the powerful presentation. And the RIAAs name is Celio i believe?

I'm Phil.

ah got it . listening to the grandi now and its pretty real sounding.

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

so far I have had 3 tom evans vibes , about 6 music first pre amps including the mfa baby ref , bel cant pre 3, vbs and non vbs models , and a few more I can`t remember . I have had the grandinote proemio in the system for a few weeks now and sadly it has to go back very soon so is available to demo . I would be extremely interested if any one tries it against a vitus pre or boulder or krell or any other pre in that league .

certainly it has that je ne se quoi that some ss amps lack , occasionally I have found them slightly clinical . the proemio has texture , is very addictive . last night I was up high in the symphony hall listening to chopin no 1 in a very good concert . it was a bit too far away for me and I actually found myself thinking I wish I was at home listening to the piano on this pre . the attack of the notes is rather good and sounds just like a piano should

I hope to compare the eminently excellent modwright valve dm pre against this proemio next week . it is most certainly on a par from memory though

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

so the proemio went back and what a pre amp it is . my word its a cracker . if any of you are at munich this year , get in touch with max to hear his system playing . he is playing the high end genesi with demone power amps , the latter seem to be rather good by all accounts

anyway so we have a grandinote shinai in situ at the moment , integrated and that's extremely good as well

been playing a lot for past few days . its pretty good I must say . I am most impressed with the separation of instruments . I am playing supertramp retrospective currently . sometimes I find this album slightly forward with some kit but not with this integrated. just very enjoyable and not a hint of fatigue .

beautifully made but very heavy . on another forum stateside they have called it pig ugly !! but I don`t think they are bad looking !!!

anyway this will soon be off to to another audiophile hopefully for demo . will post more thoughts

the supertramp track `rudy` is so good and has a train announcer giving all the stations . they are clear as a bell ....in fact clearer . the resolution is superb without any brightness or sense of clinical sound .

next week I hope to hear the co-founder of supertramp live at symphony hall so maybe have a chance to compare !

https://youtu.be/aaAfmlGz-3Q

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

so the shinai has gone to another audiophile to enjoy for a few days . as an integrated it is beautiful sounding . compared briefly to a valve integrated from japan . it compared very very well . tremendous separation and organic sound from the shinai . certainly could replace many pre power systems with ease and sound better with less cables .

so if you are looking for an integrated amp this one is definitely one to compare .

now my modwright is back in situ ,its got lovely texture and timbre and pretty addictive to listen to . it has very tight bass
    its different to the proemio . the latter definitely has more subterranean bass which means you might have to be just a bit more careful with your room and speakers . however the DM continues to delight with its delicacy and beautiful shimmering sound with bells and cymbals .

I am so grateful to jack at BD audio in Malvern for letting me hear the proemio and the shinai .

https://youtu.be/reBHaP5enME

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

video of max`s new mach 4 speakers with the shinai i had here recently . i rather like it .

https://youtu.be/VmLCK0U3L3Q

Eric Bibb

I'm Brian.

Very nice indeed
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12