+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad 303 With Monitor Golds?

I'm Shane.

Default Quad 303 With Monitor Golds?

Is there anybody on here using Quad 303 to drive their Tannoy Monitor Golds? If so, does the 303 cope OK driving them?

S.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The two were used almost exclusively back then and I posted a pic here a short while ago of EMI Studio 2? control room in the early 70's with just such an arrangement (could be Quad 50E's though).. Apart from fancy Japanese integrateds which only really became serious in the mid 70's imo and the big Crown D series amps which only had three UK dealers in the early 70's, the Quad 33/303 was about it in the post valve early 70's and Radford had pretty well lost it for a while too - and even the later ZD22 preamp and HD250 integrated weren't that stable, the amp especially.

Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shane.

Are those Lancaster Tannoy's, Dave?

S.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

They might be Shane, as the cabs are sort-of Lockwood Major size, using the Quad on the floor as a reference point. They're on tables so they can clear the mixer bridge.

(My mate when he was mastering at Decca, turned his B&W 801 stands on their sides to lift them further off the floor, as the mid and treble 'pods' were firing into the workstation and not into his ears - still sounded harsh to me but it could have been the big PA amp they were using. I was never an 801 fan and positively loathe the N800 models - gawd they're expensive crap to me, but I digress....)
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Josie.

Yep, the 303 drives the MG's really well. So do QUAD 405-2's so you will have no worries there.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Andrew.

Yep those are Lancaster cabs, too small for lockwoods.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

Yes. The Quads and big Tannoys were definitely a favoured combo in the early seventies. You occasionally saw amps Like the Sansui AU-999 and Cambridge P50 matched to them too.

(yes they look like Lancasters to me as well. Too dumpy to be Yorks)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes. The Quads and big Tannoys were definitely a favoured combo in the early seventies. You occasionally saw amps Like the Sansui AU-999 and Cambridge P50 matched to them too.

(yes they look like Lancasters to me as well. Too dumpy to be Yorks)

In your experience, Geoff.

Have you ever tried Tannoy ''Rectangular'' Chatsworth's (fitted with golds) in free space. You know, away from the walls etc.

S.

I'm Josie.

They are Lancasters but set at standing height on tea trolly's. That photo is of the same room where they mastered DSOTM, apparently.

It's odd though because Abbey Road used Lockwood Major LE's in the control room of the larger studios to which the sound would have been much better than the boxy Lancasters. Maybe those had reds in them or even 12" MG's?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    In your experience, Geoff.

Have you ever tried Tannoy ''Rectangular'' Chatsworth's (fitted with golds) in free space. You know, away from the walls etc.

S.
    For what it's worth, I have tried Lancasters set in to the room and in my opinion the sound wasn't good... As a long fabled rule, the larger tannoy's (Lockwoods or otherwise) sound better up against walls and toed in quite a bit. It's odd because it goes against the general theory of speakers needing space. But I find this to be the case with both Tannoy cabs and Lockwoods.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast